proxmox-auto-install-assistant Installation

filou59

Aug 24, 2019
Hello

I just updated proxmox 8 to 8.2.2
I wanted to test the new proxmox-auto-install-assistant script to prepare an installation ISO, but I can't find it.

Bash:
# proxmox-auto-install-assistant
-bash: proxmox-auto-install-assistant: command not found

You have to install the package manually, is this normal?

Bash:
apt install proxmox-auto-install-assistant

Hello,

Same issue here. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Before, you need to add Proxmox repository to your sources list.
See the guide to Install Proxmox VE on Debian 12 Bookworm

Add the Proxmox VE repository as root:
echo "deb [arch=amd64] [URL]http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve[/URL] bookworm pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list
Then
apt update && apt install proxmox-auto-install-assistant
proxmox-auto-install-assistant --version

A couple of remarks on this tool:

• Please consider releasing a statically-linked version which would self-contain all dependencies and run on any binary-compatible Linux. This would remove the extra chicken-and-egg steps of finding proxmoxdebian to install proxmox
  • Please consider adding a TOML parameter to add additional kernel cmdline arguments (to Grub) when booting the installer.
    • A bit of a background on this: on headless hardware with Intel vPro aka AMT aka ME (where there is no physically-connected monitor, yet the graphics are output via the VNC server embedded into the ME), the default boot mode of the kernel (KMS aka modesetting) will turn off the graphics output as it won't find any CRTCs (kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes). Consequently, nothing will be shown (black screen) to remote management clients. If the auto-mode of the Proxmox installer decides to drop out to the shell because of some error, the remote operator won't see anything and won't be able to troubleshoot the error. The fix would be to add the `nomodeset` kernel argument. There are already several topics here on the forum regarding "black screen during the installation", and the solution is always more or less to disable misbehaving hardware and switch to software framebuffer.
Thank you

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!