Proxmox as host, or TrueNas as Host?

Obednal1

Feb 14, 2023
Hi all, I'm considering combining my home tech into a one-machine Router/NAS/Server, with the ability for the storage to be expandable. Do you have any suggestions or input on how I best do this? Here are my thoughts so far:
Parts List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/W2LpbL
In short:
  • 8-core 3.8GHz CPU (on-bard graphics)
  • 32GB RAM
  • 2x 500GB SSD (500GB total with RAID1)
  • 4x 4TB HDD (8TB total with RAID10)
I'm thinking of running Proxmox as a host and TrueNAS as a VM (with HDD passthrough). Also planning on virtualising OpenWRT (with NIC passthrough).
List of Guests:
  • TrueNAS (12GB)
  • OpenWRT (1GB)
  • Plex (3GB)
  • Homepage (512Mb)
  • Docker (8GB)
  • HAOS (4GB)
  • Atlas (Off until needed) (3.5GB)
  • Kali (Off until needed) (3.5GB)
  • Lubuntu (Off until needed) (3.5GB)
Proxmox would have a RAID1 config with the two 500GB SSD's, this would support Proxmox, VM/CT Backups, Templates, ISO's. TrueNAS would have a RAID10 config with the HDD's, this would support Media, VM Volumes, CT Volumes, ZFS Network Share).

After reading around I've seen others using TrueNAS as a host and virtualizing Proxmox to then run everything under, not really sure about the best practice, what would you advise?
As a bit of background, I only recently got into home servers, virtualisation etc at the beginning of 2023 so still very new to the scene but eager to learn!

Last edited:
For ZFS (the software raid TrueNAS and PVE are using) you usually don't want QLC or consumer SSDs which those NV2 are both. Proper SSDs would be something like a Samsung PM9A3/PM983 or Micron 7400 PRO/7450 PRO/7400 MAX.
I'm thinking of running Proxmox as a host and TrueNAS as a VM (with HDD passthrough).
Then I would get a LSI HBA card with PCIe passthrough. Disk passthrough is still using virtualization and only way for the VM to directly access the real physical disks is to PCI passthrough a whole disk controller (where a B550 chipset mainboard wouldn't be great for).

After reading around I've seen others using TrueNAS as a host and virtualizing Proxmox to then run everything under, not really sure about the best practice, what would you advise?
I don't see the point. If you primarily want a NAS but also run some VMs just use a bare metal TrueNAS SCALE which can do both. PVE if you primarily want a Hypervisor, as PVE doesn't come with any NAS functionalities which then would need to be added in a VM with additional overhead in case you want a GUI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obednal1
For ZFS (the software raid TrueNAS and PVE are using) you usually don't want QLC or consumer SSDs which those NV2 are both. Proper SSDs would be something like a Samsung PM9A3/PM983 or Micron 7400 PRO/7450 PRO/7400 MAX.

Then I would get a LSI HBA card with PCIe passthrough. Disk passthrough is still using virtualization and only way for the VM to directly access the real physical disks is to PCI passthrough a whole disk controller (where a B550 chipset mainboard wouldn't be great for).

I don't see the point. If you primarily want a NAS but also run some VMs just use a bare metal TrueNAS SCALE which can do both. PVE if you primarily want a Hypervisor, as PVE doesn't come with any NAS functionalities which then would need to be added in a VM qith additional overhead incase you want a GUI.
This is great feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to share!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!