Proxmox as a NUT Server or Client?

Apr 21, 2023
I'm running Proxmox 7.4/Kernel 6.2x on a Dell Optiplex 7070 and run a HAOS vm as well as a Win 11 VM, planning to set up containers and/or Docker eventually. I also have a Synology NAS on latest OS and a Win 10/11 PC. My APC SMT-1500 UPS has a USB port as well as a network card connected to LAN. Currently the USB cable for the NAS to UPS connects to the Synology NAS. All of the equipment is powered via the UPS and I want to control shutdown of all three devices gracefully during a power outage and NUT seems to be the way to go. Based on my preliminary research, I have to pick one device as the NUT Server/Master (direct connected to UPS via USB) and everything else as Client/Slave and communicate via network.

Which device should I make the Server? Any pro's or con's to Proxmox vs. Syn NAS vs Win 10/11 PC (not sure if I will keep the dedicated PC or not yet)? And I assume you run thee NUT software on the PVE and not the VM's or containers?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!