Proxmox Arm64 Port. Any review / Advise ?

So is the problem with pve or arm? I only ask because this has been something the proxmox staff had reported was mostly done on their end, and this was 3 1/2 years ago!
I was wanting to install raspberry pi OS as a VM only to find there is still this gap in compatibility... And this is when arm development and inclusion has been blowing up over the last few years due to, among other things, power costs of servers for home labs. I have set up an arm64 k3s cluster and wanted to add another master node in proxmox to lock in HA. Bummer.....

PVE does currently have not any tested build for ARM architecture.
You might find some online who took PVE and ported it to ARM but it's not officially supported - e.g: https://github.com/jiangcuo/Proxmox-Port

I'm well aware that proxmox doesn't have an official release nor supports arm currently, hence my query... If you read the 3.5 year old post I referenced, it is also noted there as well, however, it's not like they don't have the ability to support it. At least that is what I got from that thread. You are welcome to make your own determination.

and keep in mind that PI and other SBCs are not the target platform for official PVE-on-arm. It's servers like Ampere and such. Yet the market has not catched up yet. Most people want to run some kind of Windows-based OS on PVE, so ARM is out-of-the-question for most software.

I was wanting to install raspberry pi OS as a VM only to find there is still this gap in compatibility
That is cross-platform virtualization and not going to be easy. I tried it multiple times and it only works with stock qemu to some extend. So you may go with a VM with e.g. Debian in it and just virtualize your Pi in there with QEMU. Emulation is as fast as it would be on your host, because it is fully software virtualization nonetheless due to the different architecture. Even if it would all be ARM, there are very different kinds of ARM. It's not like X86 where everything is quite similar.

The best I got was not using QEMU directly, but bin-fmt kernel module to run non-local-architecture-binaries directly, yet this is not 100% working most of the time.

And this is when arm development and inclusion has been blowing up over the last few years due to, among other things, power costs of servers for home labs.
Then buy better power-efficient X86 hardware. The low-end Intel and AMD are fine, e.g. ODROID-H3+ is a capable machine running with only 12W idle in my homelab with 2x 960 GB Enterprise Samsung SSDs and an intel optane NVMe for SLOG with 64 GB of RAM. Of course you don't have enterprise features like ECC or a management interface, yet it works fine. This is my 3rd low-energy platform after AMD E-350 and Intel J4205.

Reactions: t.lamprecht
I wanted to post about my experience with the ARM64 port mentioned here. I tried both the UEFI setup(booting iso from an EDK2 env) and installing via repos from an Armbian base. Both options work fairly well(with some tinkering). I even had windows VMs emulated running at one point. My hardware is an Orange Pi 5+ which is an octa-core RK3588 SBC. Only caveat I encountered is that you must be aware of the hybrid architecture of the CPU and set the affinity accordingly (do not use cores from different CPUs on the same VM).

Reactions: XRedShark

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!