Proxmox 8.2 newly created bridges not available

cwathan

Renowned Member
Mar 11, 2014
Good day,

I recently setup a lab workstation with proxmox 8.2 and no bridge other than vmbr0 is listed when creating a network interface during VM creation or when adding a vNIC to an existing VM. I used custom names for Linux VLANs as well as a vmbr0.X nomenclature in which X is the VLAN number. All of this is to have the physical interface act as a trunk port. Is something different in 8.2, did I forget to do something or am I running into a bug?

Please post your /etc/network/interfaces

Bridges in proxmox must be named vmbrX

It's really quite basic. I don't recall having this issues with basic trunking in the past. But, it's been a while since I've used anything besides SDN.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0f2np2 inet manual
mtu 9000

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.11/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports enp4s0f2np2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094
mtu 9000

auto vmbr0.10
iface vmbr0.10 inet manual

auto vmbr0.11
iface vmbr0.11 inet manual

auto vmbr0.12
iface vmbr0.12 inet manual

auto vmbr0.13
iface vmbr0.13 inet manual

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

According to your network configuration you only got one bridge (vmbr0) defined. Those "vmbr0.XYZ" are Linux vlan interfaces, not bridges and can only be used by the PVE host (which it won't as they are set to manual).
All your guests could use that single vlan-aware vmbr0 using different VLANs by defining the "VLAN Tag" for each vNIC.

Last edited:
I currently have some guests setup like that and they are not able to communicate with the VLAN gateway on the directly connected physical interface. Yes, the directly connected gateway interface *IS* set as a trunk port and worked when I had this same workstation deployed with ESXi at the beginning of the week.

Ugh... Layer 8 issue. The guest images in question are very particular in how they map their intra-vm interfaces to the host. I had given them IPs in the wrong subnet for the interface to VLAN mapping without realizing it. Not enough sleep this week.

Thank you for your time Dunuin!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!