Proxmox 8.2.2 kernel 6.8.4-2.pve - Plex Transcode problem

riv76

Jun 23, 2023
Hi all,
Recently upgraded to Proxmox 8.2 with default kernel 6.8 and discovered a problem with Plex transcoding, where Plex is installed insiede a unpriviliged container with ubuntu 22.04.
The problem is transcode does not works also if I can see transcode start with intel_gpu_tool; it start but does not work and it makes me think could be a gpu driver problem at Proxmox level, but I'm not sure at all.
So, I also changed the gpu mapping, using the built-in button in resource container configuration (Add, Device Passthrough), but still does not work properly.
Code:
ls -l /dev/dri/renderD128
crw-rw---- 1 root render 226, 128 May  3 02:25 /dev/dri/renderD128
same for Proxmox host and Plex container.

Any idea?
Thank you

Last edited:
Plex has issues with Linux kernel version 6.8 and Intel GPUs.

See https://forums.plex.tv/t/ubuntu-24-04-hw-transcoding/873765/29 and https://forums.plex.tv/t/ubuntu-24-04-hw-transcoding/873765/40.

Intel appears to have changed some of their stacks and also dropped support for older CPUs.

The whole 6.8 kernel is a mess for HW transcoding due to issues with Intel iGPU support and also incompatibility with previous nVidia driver versions.To be honest I don't know why Proxmox have moved to it so quickly given all of the driver issues, not just with GPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: vraa and riv76
Can you share your workaround? I have the same issue :)

In Plex, Settings, Transcoder, i've unchecked "Enable HDR tone mapping".

For my case is not a problem, because for my TVs 4k HDR there's no need to transcode and usually transcoding can be used on my kitchen tv (1080p no HDR) or smartphones when not in wlan.

Reactions: Rannaa
For my case is not a problem, because for my TVs 4k HDR there's no need to transcode and usually transcoding can be used on my kitchen tv (1080p no HDR) or smartphones when not in wlan.
Tone mapping is used when content is transcoded from HDR to SDR, so if you are using Plex to transcode from 4K HDR to 1080p SDR on your kitchen TV and smartphone, then tone mapping will likely be required to avoid the colours potentially appearing washed out.

More details at https://support.plex.tv/articles/hdr-to-sdr-tone-mapping/

Reactions: Rannaa
In Plex, Settings, Transcoder, i've unchecked "Enable HDR tone mapping".

Yes found this out yesterday and turned HDR tone mapping off as well. Fingers crossed that it will be fixed soon since HDR tone mapping was working before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!