Proxmox 8.1.10 - LSI SAS2308 HBA Passthrough causing PTE Write access is not set

gantonas

Mar 26, 2024
Hi all,

I have searched for this but can only find older posts that don't seem to help me.

I have an HP DL380p Gen 8 and installed an LSI SAS 2308 HBA to pass through 4 disks to a TrueNAS Scale VM.

I have enabled all the settings in the BIOS.

I added the "intel_iommu=on,relax_rmrr iommu=pt" in grub,
Code:
I included all these lines
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci

I even added 2 config files in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory. One for the PCIe card and one for the blacklist as the guide here showed me. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough

Once I fire up the VM and it has fully started I get the following message on the console screen.

[ 21.933051] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2

[ 21.933077] DMAR: [INTR-REMAP] Request device [01:00.0] fault index 0x5e [fault reason 0x26] Blocked an interrupt request due to source-id verification failure

Followed by these lines that seem to repeat non-stop, till I shut down the VM Guest.

[ 167.256479] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 102

[ 167.256517] DMAR: [DMA Write NO_PASID] Request device [07:00.0] fault addr 0xbdf7f000 [fault reason 0x05] PTE Write access is not set

But the TrueNAS Scale is working fine. I have access to the disks, I have managed to create a ZFS Pool and shares and can share them with SMB and NFS.

Do you think this is an error I should worry about or should I ignore it?

If I need to deal with it, how do I do that?

If I should ignore it, how can I stop it from flooding the console screen and dmesg

The alternative would be to not passthrough the PCI but only the disks by using their ID, but that is not advisable as I have read on the internet since TrueNAS will still see only virtual disks and won't be able to read the S.M.A.R.T. and the VM might stop working if a disk is no longer available.

Any help is appreciated.

I have changed the machine type from q35 to i440fx, and the errors were gone.
Even though i have read that only q35 supports PCIe passthrough, the card is visible in the TrueNAS VM, and hard disks are also visible.

Not sure if this is just masking the error and I will have issues down the line or if the issues has been resolved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!