[SOLVED] Proxmox 8.0 / Kernel 6.2.x 100%CPU issue with Windows Server 2019 VMs

I am also seeing this problem, guest is Server 2019. Host is Proxmox 8.0.4 running kernel 6.2.16-14

This is interesting.

My gui install server 2022 (also why so many of you on 2019 - that's so half a decade ago... ;-) )

1696371456905.png

My 2019 Core install for just admin center
1696371496584.png

So its not a general 'windows server 2019 pegs CPU on 2019 issue` definitely more complicated than that.... are you all running with UEFI and TPM (i am on all windows VMs). I am using host as CPU - i see for folks with issue, that didn't help.

What caching policy / disk driver are you using? I use write through and virtio block. Over the years i know paging performance issues can easily tank a windows server and spike CPU... even if you have gobs of free memory in the VM... windows is interesting in how it uses memory for cache and paging in general...

Same problem with Win11 guest on 8.04 host. With mitigations=off temporary bypass the issue.

I can confirm that with 6.2.16-14 problem still exists

Setting "mitigations=off" the only solution

@ProxmoxTeam
Any progress on this issue?

P.S Taking into consideration that KSM with kernel 6.x is broken on dual socket boards +1 vote to release 5.15 kernel

Last edited:
Setting mitigations=off didn't help me either.
I use Intel Xeon Gold 5317 CPU on 2 sockets.
The vm is a windows server 2022, usually the vm has a cpu load of 20-35% (12 cores), which is quite a significant load.
When using kernel 6.x I get a load of 95 to 99%, so no chance for a working system at all. Increasing the number of vm cores didn't help.

Setting mitigations=off didn't help me either.
I use Intel Xeon Gold 5317 CPU on 2 sockets.
The vm is a windows server 2022, usually the vm has a cpu load of 20-35% (12 cores), which is quite a significant load.
When using kernel 6.x I get a load of 95 to 99%, so no chance for a working system at all. Increasing the number of vm cores didn't help.

If on your systems KSM is in use then try to disable it with "systemctl disable --now ksmtuned" on top of
mitigations=off
and cross-check that mitigations are really off with lscpu

Reactions: Sebi-S
If on your systems KSM is in use then try to disable it with "systemctl disable --now ksmtuned" on top of

and cross-check that mitigations are really off with lscpu

I've changed the /etc/grub file and added mitigations=off.

This is what I get with lscpu

Code:
Model name:            Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5317 CPU @ 3.00GHz
(...)
Vulnerabilities:
  Gather data sampling:  Vulnerable: No microcode
  Itlb multihit:         Not affected
  L1tf:                  Not affected
  Mds:                   Not affected
  Meltdown:              Not affected
  Mmio stale data:       Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Enhanced IBRS, IBPB conditional, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS SW sequence
  Srbds:                 Not affected
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected

I still get massive loads. Am I doing something wrong? If so, I'd be happy to learn. ;)

1. updated /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet mitigations=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="mitigations=off"
2. update-grub
3. reboot
4. lscpu

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken mitigations=off is not applied

What filesystem behind your root partition?
In my case (zfs) i had to edit cmdfile file

Check this post:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/disable-spectre-meltdown-mitigations.112553/post-485863

Looks like this is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot!
Now my configuration looks like this:

Code:
Vulnerabilities:
  Mmio stale data:       Vulnerable
  Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
  Spectre v1:            Vulnerable: __user pointer sanitization and usercopy barriers only; no swapgs barriers
  Spectre v2:            Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled, PBRSB-eIBRS: Vulnerable

Sadly my vm still has a massive workload with the current kernel 6.2.16-12-pve and so the problem remains.

Last edited:
Looks like this is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot!
Now my configuration looks like this:

Code:
Vulnerabilities:
  Mmio stale data:       Vulnerable
  Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
  Spectre v1:            Vulnerable: __user pointer sanitization and usercopy barriers only; no swapgs barriers
  Spectre v2:            Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled, PBRSB-eIBRS: Vulnerable

Sadly my vm still has a massive workload with the current kernel 6.2.16-12-pve and so the problem remains.

Well, now it looks reasonable

Next, what about KSM? Have you disabled it?

Yup, has already been deactivated
Code:
systemctl status ksmtuned.service
○ ksmtuned.service - Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) Tuning Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ksmtuned.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

I'm really puzzling.

I can well imagine that my application VMs are not the norm because they already have 20-30% load anyway. And that's with 16 cores and 48 GB RAM. But with the current kernel, it's only gotten worse so far.

Yup, has already been deactivated
Code:
systemctl status ksmtuned.service
○ ksmtuned.service - Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) Tuning Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ksmtuned.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

I'm really puzzling.

I can well imagine that my application VMs are not the norm because they already have 20-30% load anyway. And that's with 16 cores and 48 GB RAM. But with the current kernel, it's only gotten worse so far.

Could you try to continuously ping your VM (from any other device in network) like gateway?
Huge ping delay spikes are common for the topic issue. If you don't have any then probably there is something else interfere

P.S. Do not ping from another VM on the same host
P.S.S In my case before setting mitigations=off I saw ping spikes and RDS server was almost impossible to use by users

Last edited:
Hello. Have the same problem as described on post #1.
Workarounded following @Whatever instructions. Added mitigations=off on the end of /etc/kernel/cmdline (not "cdmfile" in my case) and disabling KSM using systemctl disable --now ksmtuned

Steps made:
1. nano /etc/kernel/cmdline -> root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs mitigations=off
2. proxmox-boot-tool refresh
3. systemctl disable --now ksmtuned
4. reboot

My Specs:
> Proxmox 8.0.4 > kernel 6.2.16-15-pve > Dual Xeon E5-2696 v3 > ZFS RAID1 (Enterprise NVME) > VM with Win Server 2019 (64GB RAM + 32 cores)

I have another Proxmox 8 installations with similar configurations (also with vm2019 vms) and had this problem just in one of them (even a case with near identical in hardware). Probably because ram size and cpu cores assigned to vm as discused on previous posts:

> PVE 8.0.4 / 6.2.16-15-pve / Dual Xeon E5-2696 v3 / ZFS RAID1 (Enterprise NVME) / VM: W2019 (64GB RAM + 32 cores)
CPU Problems

> PVE 8.0.4 / 6.2.16-12-pve / Dual Xeon E5-2696 v3 / ZFS RAID1 (Enterprise NVME) / VM: W2019 (16GB RAM + 16 cores)
No issues

> PVE 8.0.4 / 6.2.16-15-pve / Dual Xeon Silver 4208 / LVM (SAS SSD Hard RAID) / VM: W2019 (32GB RAM + 16 cores)
No issues

> PVE 8.0.4 / 6.2.16-12-pve / Dual Xeon X5670 / LVM (SAS SSD Hardware RAID) / VM: W2019 (24GB RAM + 12 cores)
No issues

Thanx @Whatever for your invaluable help!

Reactions: Sebi-S and Whatever
I have another Proxmox 8 installations with similar configurations (also with vm2019 vms) and had this problem just in one of them (even a case with near identical in hardware). Probably because ram size and cpu cores assigned to vm as discused on previous posts:

> PVE 8.0.4 / 6.2.16-15-pve / Dual Xeon E5-2696 v3 / ZFS RAID1 (Enterprise NVME) / VM: W2019 (64GB RAM + 32 cores)
CPU Problems

Host1 - problems
CPU(s)
56 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version
Linux 6.2.16-14-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-14 (2023-09-19T08:17Z)
Intel-microcodes installed
VM: W2019 (96GB RAM + 42 cores, NUMA)

Host2 - problems
CPU(s)
48 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version
Linux 6.2.16-15-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-15 (2023-09-28T13:53Z)
Intel-microcodes installed
VM: W2019 (128GB RAM + 32 cores, NUMA)

Could you try to continuously ping your VM (from any other device in network) like gateway?
Huge ping delay spikes are common for the topic issue. If you don't have any then probably there is something else interfere

P.S. Do not ping from another VM on the same host
P.S.S In my case before setting mitigations=off I saw ping spikes and RDS server was almost impossible to use by users
For the sake of completeness: the server and its services are closely monitored. I don't have exact ping numbers, but the access times shoot up as soon as I move the vm to the cluster node with kernel 6.2.x or restart it there.

One more observation:
Disabling KSM requires rebooting the host because stopping KSM service (and/or disabling it) does not really stop it.
ksmd becomes ghost and cannot be killed (I didnt manage to kill it)

This screen shows: kernel with mitigations=off and ksdtuned stopped and disabled (but host is not yet rebooted)
1697022887828.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!