Proxmox 7 replace ZFS disk in boot device

poxin

Jun 27, 2017
I've recent setup a cluster using latest Proxmox 7 iso. One of the OS disks using ZFS went bad.

Code:
:~# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with legacy bios
WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/0E18-2679 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids'! - skipping
0E19-A8D2 is configured with: grub (versions: 5.11.22-1-pve, 5.11.22-2-pve)

It says in the docs that it should be using "proxmox-boot-tool" as the bootloader if it was installed via 6.4 or later. Yet in the status output I see grub so I'm a bit confused here.

Do I proceed with using the proxmox-boot-tool format and init commands, or simply use grub-install? The hardware was slightly older so it does not have UEFI.

I assume UEFI would be proxmox-boot-tool as the bootloader and legacy is just using standard grub?

proxmox-boot-tool is just the tool used to setup the bootloader for ZFS-based systems. it uses systemd-boot on UEFI systems, and grub on BIOS systems. but for the latter, grub does not boot directly from ZFS like it used to, but from one of the ESPs as well.

to replace your boot drive, follow the instructions in the admin guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_zfs_administration -> Changing a failed bootable device

Reactions: nazar.nigm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!