Proxmox 7.4 / 8.0 - PCIe RAID Controller SATA HDD's not detected

ckaprsx

Sep 12, 2023
I've been trying to access HDD that are added to the server using PCIe controller, but looks like proxmox isn't detecting it.
I'd fresh installation again to another SSD to know if the OS kernels must have been issue for this and tried all methods as mention in running thread here. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/no-sas2008-after-upgrade.129499/

The BIOS detects the card as well as the HDD installed to it, but proxmox is unable to detect it.

Is there anything specific that needs to be done in order to enable access of PCIe drives to Proxmox.

PS: New to proxmox installation

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 19.17.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 19.17.07.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 18
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 19.17.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 19.17.29.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 17
What if you attach the HDD on the MB controller?

From what I recall, when I remove the PCI card and connect the HDD directly to the motherboard controller, it gets detected. However, when I connect the same HDD to the motherboard slot while the PCIe card is installed, it doesn't work.

May be you already know that: If you plan to use the file system ZFS you have to not use the raid controller. Anyway Proxmox, normaly can detect the HDD on the controller raid, so is a HW/drivers problem. I do not know the Hrdware-raid you are using, is a zerochannel? May be is a compatibility problem. Witch brand is the MB and or the controller?

Is the m1115 flashed to it mode? If not, do you already created a raid? Without, proxmox will not see the individual disks.

Do you see the m1115 with a lspci

May be you already know that: If you plan to use the file system ZFS you have to not use the raid controller. Anyway Proxmox, normaly can detect the HDD on the controller raid, so is a HW/drivers problem. I do not know the Hrdware-raid you are using, is a zerochannel? May be is a compatibility problem. Witch brand is the MB and or the controller?

I'm using ServeRAID M1115 card with SAS mini to 4 SATA split cable. Specs can be found here https://lenovopress.lenovo.com/tips0856-serveraid-m1115

The idea here is to have Proxmox as hypervisor and create multiple VM and containers. To achieve this I'm planning to use various services like TrueNAS for media server, Docker containers for development and some production web server, etc.

Last edited:
Is the m1115 flashed to it mode? If not, do you already created a raid? Without, proxmox will not see the individual disks.

This is a fresh installation of Proxmox and settings have been done in BIOS.
Can you let me know what's flashing to IT mode means?

This is a fresh installation of Proxmox and settings have been done in BIOS.
Can you let me know what's flashing to IT mode means?
A raid controller doesn't provide the physical disk to the OS. You MUST create a raid array first and then the OS will see this array (with a hw raid controller the OS never see which and how much disks are connected to the raid controller). If you want the physical single disks in the OS, you need to flash the firmware of the raid controller to it mode, then it will behave like the stupid SATA controller and you see each disk in the OS.

Yes. I can see the SAS controller on lspci command.

Yes. I can see the SAS controller on lspci command.
I just gave it a try by removing the card and using the onboard controller on MB and it's working.
Do I need to lower down the generation on BIOS for PCIe in order to work for this?

Will try out working on configuring the RAID? Is there a space/link which I can refer to expedite the process?

A raid controller doesn't provide the physical disk to the OS. You MUST create a raid array first and then the OS will see this array (with a hw raid controller the OS never see which and how much disks are connected to the raid controller). If you want the physical single disks in the OS, you need to flash the firmware of the raid controller to it mode, then it will behave like the stupid SATA controller and you see each disk in the OS.

So while searching through a lot found out on flashing to IT mode on this https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files/

However, when I boot to DOS USB bootable, it loads the LSI bootloader and not the DOS due to which I'm not able to flash the card.

Any other way to do so?

I've created bootable USB with flash tools yet the boot loads to this screen always.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-26 at 10.03.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-26 at 10.03.37.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 16

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!