Proxmox 4.0 VE fresh install: can't shutdown VMs with host

Send the UPS shutdown signals to the guests first, then the host.
It's a way to go when you have few guests all supporting UPS tools.

Anyway, it's major bug and it should be solved. I have tested PVE 4.0 month ago and after reporting this bug I installed ESXi instead of PVE. For containers I still can use CentOS/OpenVZ or FreeBSD/jails inside VM on top of ESXi.

Now I can see that this bug was reported earlier for PVE 4.0 B2 - http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/23...uests-don-t-shutdown-cleanly-on-host-shutdown

Some guests don't play cleanly with a shutdown of the host, it depends on their OS. I make it a rule to shutdown each guest from within it's own OS first before finally issuing the host shutdown. Don't count on the host to do it for you.
This is not the case, I mostly use Standard Centos installations and ALL of them have always shutdown perfectly in all previous version of proxmox, except 4.0. En even if the problem was with the guest there should still be a timeout from the host side. Yet in 4.0 all just stop instantly without any attempt of a shutdown.

Still the shutdown works perfectly fine when initiated from the WEB Interface, thus the guest plays cleanly with a shutdown signal. It is fine for planned shutdown, but in case of an unattended power failure it is a big problem as it sometime causes corruption in the guest file system, or worse, mysql.

Maybe the answer is to downgrade to proxmox 3.x until it is sorted out. Unfortunately in my case that will require a time consuming backup and restore of about a terabyte of production servers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!