ProxMox 3.2 to 3.3, impressions and a problem

Well I to stepped into this trap and have painfully discovered that with Windows 2008 R2 Retail there is a limited number of re-activations I can do. I am now facing purchasing a new license!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this in future upgrades and how to resolve this on our current install?

Thanks,

you never have to purchase a new windows license just because of re-activation because of new hardware or new virtual hardware.

AFAIK if online activation does not work, you can always activate via phone.

In this case it came right out and said it has been activated too many times. (we swapped hardware a couple of times before virtualizing).

Almost got it. If I start the VM manually with "/usr/bin/kvm ...... -M pc-i440fx-1.7" the machine comes up activated.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this in the conf file so it happens automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Almost got it. If I start the VM manually with "/usr/bin/kvm ...... -M pc-i440fx-1.7" the machine comes up activated.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this in the conf file so it happens automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Just re-read the thread ;-) then add in your vmid.conf:

machine: pc-i440fx-1.7

I've updated one 2008R2 VM so far, no need to reactivate it.

One thing I have noticed over the years, if you ever change the network card or add one your chance of needing to re-activate will increase dramatically.
Just changing the MAC address on the virtual adapter is enough to displease Windows activation.

If your VM started its life in Proxmox and you never mess with the network adapters, chances are you will never need to re-activate.
If you did a physical to virtual migration, plan to re-activate whenever any little thing changes, even adding or removing RAM has triggered a re-activation for me on a P2V server.

I've updated one 2008R2 VM so far, no need to reactivate it.

One thing I have noticed over the years, if you ever change the network card or add one your chance of needing to re-activate will increase dramatically.
Just changing the MAC address on the virtual adapter is enough to displease Windows activation.

If your VM started its life in Proxmox and you never mess with the network adapters, chances are you will never need to re-activate.
If you did a physical to virtual migration, plan to re-activate whenever any little thing changes, even adding or removing RAM has triggered a re-activation for me on a P2V server.

I can confirm this. Last week i changed vNIC on one of Windows 2008 R2 Standard from e1000 to virtio. After reboot it said Windows is not activated. I just clicked to activate and it used the old Key to reactivate without needing to enter it again. This VM was born in Proxmox. No P2V.

Just re-read the thread ;-) then add in your vmid.conf:

machine: pc-i440fx-1.7

Thanks alot for this topic. This time faced with reactivating with 1C program and this trick did help.
Now is running proxmox v3.4-3.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!