Proxmox 3.1 grub error on raid 5

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi
After i upgraded my proxmox 2.3 cluster to 3.1, i was not able to mount an USB 3.0 harddisk anymore.

So i googled around and found that someone could solve the issue with a complete new installation.
So i downlaoded Proxmox VE 3.1 ISO.

My Servers (4) all have a 3ware raidcontroller (sata) with 4 HDD's (3 HDD raid 5, one spare)

I installed proxmox from iso and all seems to went well. Then after the reboot i got a GRUB error and the system fell to grub-rescue

Then i did a ls (hd0) and system gave me unrecognised filesystem.
Then i thought maybe the iso was corrupted. so i downloaded and burnt it again but with the same result.

Can anyone say something to this issue??

Any help is greatly appreciated

Does your initrd file system include the driver for you raid controller?
To be curtain add the driver to this file: /etc/modules
And then rebuild initrd: update-initramfs -u

how can i verify this? In all past versions i had no issues.

And the system does hang by grub in grub-rescue.

the update-initramfs -u has to be done within a booted system, or am i wrong?!

Yes update-initramfs must be run when the system is booted.

Your problem can be narrowed down to two errors:
1) Your devices changes name after reboot
2) Your driver for your raid is missing in the initrd file system

but how can i boot the system when no grub is working? i tried with ubuntu livecd but was not able to chroot into the mounted boot partition from proxmox (system said: /bin/bash not found)- which is correct.

on the other hand: why did the system install correctly? this means that the driver was existent in the kernel during install...
so i think there should be no problem

so what do you mean exactly?

I have to boot a live cd, and from the live cd i have to make a dir, then somehow mount /dev/sda2 (which is a LVM2 volume) and the /dev/sda1 (boot)
and then chroot into the dir and uncompress initrd, put driver into it and make update-initrd.

Is that right?

if yes:
How do i mount a LVM2 volume (dev/sda2)? and why is it LVM2 group? i already have a raid

if no:
What do i have to do?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!