ProxMox 2 Node Cluster Migration on Hew Hardware

Elleni

Jul 6, 2020
I will get 2 new server where I shall migrate the old nodes to. The cluster has no shared storage and as third device I installed corosync-qnetd on our pbx.

Question: What is bestpractice and most efficient for the replacement of those two clusternodes:

a) Cluster re-install and recreation from scratch followed by a restore of the vms from proxmox backup server
b) adding new nodes to cluster and using replication and migration functions to migrate vms to new nodes followed by removal of old nodes

Thanks in advance for hints on how this is done most efficiently.

Edit to add that I come from seeing that there is a new major version 8, while I run current 7 release.

Last edited:
I would rather do option b if you are comfortable adding and removing node in a cluster. This gives you zero to little downtime. Another option if you are not confortable with option be is to use pve-zsync. This replicates your data to another instance of proxmox. All you need to do is make sure your network and storage stays the same (same requirement for adding node) and you just copy your lxc and vm config from /etc/pve/lxc and /etc/pve/qemu-server. Once the zsync is done then you shutdown the vm/lxc then rerun to zync again to make sure you have the changes coppied before the shutdown then start the vm to the new cluster. Also very nice solution here. In this scenario of migration, you are always sure the original cluster has all the data still.

Read here

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!