Proxmox 2.1: Boot VM from PXE for newbie

Blue Tongue

Jun 26, 2012
Hi,
I just installed Promox 2.1 on a DELL R410 machine.
I defined a VM without importing any install media and would like to PXE boot from a remote Linux boot server.

I have changed the:
boot order=network.
network device=bridged (vmbr0)
network model=VirtIO

However, I don't know where I should define the DHCP server.
The host itself is defined using static IP and so I did not define any DHCP server entry.

I am a newbie of newbies in Proxmox and Linux and so would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Couple of questions (but, I will not be of any extreme help on this)
The OP

• Is this for a KVM VM client or for an OpenVZ?
Proxmox community

• Is there a way to bet the VM client to Bios to the network adapter for booting (virtually, that is)?
  • Is the VM client's BIOS enabled for PXE booting?
Thanks in advance

I am actually defining a KVM VM (OpenVZ is now called CT in 2.1).
I found out that I needed to turn on Virtualization Technology in the BIOS of the server.
I managed to start the VM but I still could not see that it is PXE booting to start the remote installation.
I tried connecting to the console and got an error as follows.
no connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

* did you try to use non-virtio nic ?
* are you sure that you can reach the dhcp server on your network through the bridge vmbr0?

Marco

Proxmox 2.1 does not like IE8 and 9. Firefox with the latest Java plug-in works.
I think I am all set now.
Thanks.

Proxmox 2.1 does not like IE8 and 9. Firefox with the latest Java plug-in works.
I think I am all set now.
Thanks.
@Blue Tongue
What did you do to get the PXE boot process to work?

Can you describe the step-by-steps you used? If I understand correctly, the one obstacle was the bios settings....right? ... were there other steps you needed to use to PXE the VM to get it to boot its OS from the PXE host on your physical LAN?

Thanks in advance.

Let me try to recap what I did to use PXE to boot a VM.
1) Enable Virtualization Technology in your machine's BIOS setting.
2) Always use Firefox and install the latest JRE to access Proxmox (at least for 2.1)
3) Tab (Hardware): Network Device = use Bridged mode / Model use Realtec (not sure if it makes any difference)
4) Tab (Options): Boot order = Network

Hope this helps and thanks every one for replying to my thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!