Proxmox 1.8 Cluster - Can I change the VMID of a VM on a slave?

mylesw

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2011
I have three Proxmox servers and I am trying to have them all set in a cluster. They all run PM 1.8 and I have two of them successfully linked together. The third one was installed and setup with about 4 VMs last year, and they unfortunately share common VMIDs with the master. I understand that if I add the third PM 1.8 box to the cluster, I will lose the VMs.

However in reading about this, I believe I can backup the VMs and then restore them under non-conflicting VMIDs to get this working. That will work fine for 3 of the 4 VMs on that server, but the first one is an IPCop Firewall (KVM) that we have working there and as that box is colocated in another state, I can't afford to lose connectivity to it.

So I'm wondering if there is any other way to change the VMID of a running VM on a PM1.8 server, so that I can add it to the cluster? I may be able to stop it for a short period of time, but I'm not sure if I will have the option to do a full backup of the VM.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Myles

you can edit the vmid.conf files directly (see /etc/qemu-server/), you can also rename it. be careful. I suggest you poweroff the VM, make the changes and start again.

but test this on non production VM first.

you can edit the vmid.conf files directly (see /etc/qemu-server/), you can also rename it. be careful. I suggest you poweroff the VM, make the changes and start again.
but test this on non production VM first.

Thank you, and I will follow your advice. Out of interest, is there a similar conf file for OpenVZ containers as well?

Myles

container are different, see /etc/vz/conf/ and for the files, /var/lib/vz/private

Hi,
I'm using Proxmox pve-manager/2.1-14/f32f3f46 with Kernel version Linux 2.6.32-14-pve #1 SMP.

I just tried /etc/qemu-server and there's no qemu-server folder?
I just tried etc/vz/conf and there's no vz folder?

I then go into the Proxmox node, rather than the VMs as above.
The /etc/qemu-server has no vmid.conf file?
The etc/vz/vz.conf doesn't seem to have any code to change the VMs' ID or IP addresses?

I can't change the VMs' ID as there's no option in the GUI neither?

I also can't delete some VMs I don't need.
I also can't migrate to another VM ID. Proxmox only migrates to other nodes and I only have 1.
I also can't backup. (I though I could then copy the backup from the old VM ID and paste into the new VM ID).

Help appreciated.

Last edited:
wrong forum. pls post only once and only in the right forum.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, what is the right forum according to your expertise?

this is the Proxmox VE 1.x forum. if you use latest 2.x you need to go the 2.x forum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!