Proxmox 1.7 ISCSI Problems?

Mrdude

Apr 13, 2010
USA
Hi so i have been searching around for an answer and i dunno if i am just not asking the right question, or what not.. but i figured ill just start a thread and get everyone input..

So what i have done is setup a proxmox ve 1.7 on a server with a 64gb SSD drive. I bought a Drobo B800I and set it up on proxmox as an ISCSI target ad then set up a LVM group on that.
PHP:
http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en_US/pd/CategoryID.54837100/productID.224905000
The thing though is that it doesnt seem to do any formatting. and I go to create a VM (KVM) and it can only create a "raw" image format, should that be correct? I would prefer to use vmdk so that they are all enclosed and separate. is there something that i did wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Thanks,
Mrdude

Hi so i have been searching around for an answer and i dunno if i am just not asking the right question, or what not.. but i figured ill just start a thread and get everyone input..

So what i have done is setup a proxmox ve 1.7 on a server with a 64gb SSD drive. I bought a Drobo B800I and set it up on proxmox as an ISCSI target ad then set up a LVM group on that.
PHP:
http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en_US/pd/CategoryID.54837100/productID.224905000
The thing though is that it doesnt seem to do any formatting. and I go to create a VM (KVM) and it can only create a "raw" image format, should that be correct? I would prefer to use vmdk so that they are all enclosed and separate. is there something that i did wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Thanks,
Mrdude
Hi,
on a lvm-storage you can only create raw-disks. In real life this raw disk is an logical volume on the lvm-storage. You can simply copy your vmdk-file (if it's already in raw-format - look with "file disk.vmdk") to the created disk like this
Code:
dd if=disk.vmdk of=/dev/drobo/vm-110-disk-1 bs=1024k

Udo

Thanks udo,

My next question then would be: can i use an ISCSI Target as a directory to hold vmdk images, iso images, or vzdump backups on seperate luns? or can an ISCSI target only be used as a LVM Group?

Thanks,
Mrdude

Thanks udo,

My next question then would be: can i use an ISCSI Target as a directory to hold vmdk images, iso images, or vzdump backups on seperate luns? or can an ISCSI target only be used as a LVM Group?

Thanks,
Mrdude
Hi,
if you create an filesystem on the iscsi-target you can also use this filesystem for backup/isos... (create an mount-entry in /etc/fstab).
Due to performance it's better to use lvm-storage for raw-disks and not a filesystem between.

Udo

Thanks again Udo,

One last question due to my "limited" knowledge of commands and such.. (Im getting better but not there yet.)
what would be the way i do that? my proxmox server and ISCSI are on the same local network.
Server: 192.168.48.192
ISCSI: 192.168.48.99
what would i put in /etc/fstab?

Thanks much,
Mrdude

Thanks again Udo,

One last question due to my "limited" knowledge of commands and such.. (Im getting better but not there yet.)
what would be the way i do that? my proxmox server and ISCSI are on the same local network.
Server: 192.168.48.192
ISCSI: 192.168.48.99
what would i put in /etc/fstab?

Thanks much,
Mrdude
Hi,
that depends...
If you export a single iscsi-target for mounting, you can create a lvm on this (volumegroup and a logical-volume like "iscsistor", after that mkfs.ext4 on the lv). Then you can use "/dev/mapper/drobo-iscsistor" in fstab.
or you use the iscsi-target as normal disk, create a partition, make filesystem and use "blkid" to get the UUID of this filesystem - this can you also put in the fstab.

Both methods has the effort, that all will be fine when the devicenumbering change - like from sdc to sde because of another internal disk.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!