Proxmox 1.5, 3ware, partitions size...mixed

andrea

Sep 18, 2009
Roma, Italy
www.mediatouch.it
After a very successful test period using software raid, we are planning to install new Proxmox servers with hardware raid based on 3ware 9650SE 4 port controller. However, browsing the Proxmox and 3ware forums, there are some things that make me a little mixed.

1. 3ware is supported by linux kernels, however according to 3ware kb http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle14546.aspx native support for 9650SE starts from kernels 2.6.19. Proxmox CD install image uses 2.6.18, so I think there are good chances controller or attached disks won't show up as expected. Wondering if newer install images uses a newer kernel, or a kernel may be selected at the install prompt

2. on some threads in Proxmox forums it is said partitions on 3ware raid controllers can't be larger than 2TB. Our idea is creating a raid system with four 1,5TB disks mirrored, thus 3TB space, not not sure if I'm correctly understanding the 2TB partition limit, that means we will be not able to use 3TB space ? If the issue is confirmed, could we sort it up using a RAID10 ?

Any thoughts really appreciated
Andrea

After a very successful test period using software raid, we are planning to install new Proxmox servers with hardware raid based on 3ware 9650SE 4 port controller. However, browsing the Proxmox and 3ware forums, there are some things that make me a little mixed.

1. 3ware is supported by linux kernels, however according to 3ware kb http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle14546.aspx native support for 9650SE starts from kernels 2.6.19. Proxmox CD install image uses 2.6.18, so I think there are good chances controller or attached disks won't show up as expected. Wondering if newer install images uses a newer kernel, or a kernel may be selected at the install prompt

2.6.18 should work. if not, use the 1.4 ISO installer (with Kernel 2.6.24)

2. on some threads in Proxmox forums it is said partitions on 3ware raid controllers can't be larger than 2TB. Our idea is creating a raid system with four 1,5TB disks mirrored, thus 3TB space, not not sure if I'm correctly understanding the 2TB partition limit, that means we will be not able to use 3TB space ? If the issue is confirmed, could we sort it up using a RAID10 ?

Any thoughts really appreciated
Andrea

for the installation the partition needs to be smaller than 2 TB (just create 2 Raid10 volumes)

Thanks Tom,

for the installation the partition needs to be smaller than 2 TB (just create 2 Raid10 volumes)
That would end with two volumes of 1,5TB each and Proxmox will use only one, or i will still be able to use the whole 3TB space ? Or the second volume should be added to VG after setup then extend the space available to LVM?

Andrea

Last edited:
the installer ask which one you want to use. the second one will be untouched by the installation process, you can configure this after installation.

Not tested on real system yet, however if I correctly understand Tom, the steps with two disks (say /dev/sda and /dev/sdb) should be:

- install PVE on /dev/sda
- once PVE is up and running, it has a single PV (in /dev/sda2) and a single VG (pve)
- create a second PV (on the second volume) with
Code:
# pvcreate /dev/sdb
- extend VG "pve" using
Code:
# vgextend pve /dev/sdb
once VG "pve" is extended, you should be able to extend logical volume "data" as well, which contains virtual machine images.

Anyone?

Andrea

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but may be useful for someone to know, it looks like 3ware 9650SE-4LPML has some issues whit disks larger than 1GB. Using a RAID10 array over four 1500GB Seagate Barracuda disks always yileds two volumes for a total (over two volumes) of 1,99TB, much less than the expected 2,72TB. Same issue with two set of RAID1, max 1TB each, despite BIOS sees all four disks at 1,36TB each.

Wondering if anyone has experienced similar problem.

Andrea

Hi Dietmar,

not sure if I correct get you: I'm not creating volumes > 2TB, I'm carving out two volumes of 1,36TB each (carving 1536) but looks like the controller will create two volumes of 1TB each.

Re: Proxmox 1.5, 3ware, partitions size...mixed - SOLVED

I think it may be useful to clear out things and post some info that may be useful to others.

The controller 3ware 9650SE-4LPML is correctly recognized by the Proxmox 1.5 installer ISO. The problem was about the Controller BIOS: when using carving over 4x1,36TB disks in RAID10 to avoid a single volume of 2,72TB (thus > 2TB), the 3ware BIOS was keep reporting two volumes that summed up was a total of 2TB (for example, one of 1,5TB and one of 0,5TB instead of one of 1,5TB and one 1,2TB as expected).

I asked support to LSI and they promptly answered (about 25 mins from request to answer, kudos to them!) that the problem is known but it is only a report problem from within the controller BIOS interface itself. When installing a supported OS, the volumes will show up with their correct size as expected.

I tested and it is true, the two volumes are correctly reported with their proper size in Proxmox 1.5 installer.

Also, extending the "pve" VG and "data" LV after installation was very easy once Proxmox has been setup on /dev/sda. I'm going to create a fresh setup using Proxmox 1.6, I'll post if everything does as expected. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!