Progress on Dynamic-Load scheduling ?

mururoa

Mar 17, 2023
Hi,
In my organisation, with increased costs for vmware comming, we are looking to switch to Proxmox.
But we definitely need DRS or Dynamic-Load scheduling as it's called here.
This as been on the Proxmox VE roadmap for long but when is this expected to be available ?
8.2, 8.3, 9.0, ... ?

Hi,
I'm aware of CRS but DLS/DRS is not CRS.
DLS is about periodic load distribution based on CPU/Memory/Disk IO/Network bandwith.
It's not active on start of vm or HA but all the time.
The goal is to distribute the load on all the hosts of the cluster.
For example if you have 4 VMs with high CPU load and 4 hosts you will end with one of them on each host, wherever you or CRS placed them on startup.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsterr and bbgeek17
I'm aware of that but :
- this is a script, not official Proxmox support
- this is very basic load balancing, only memory is concerned. Imho memory is the very last parameter to take for dynamic load balancing. No real risk that an host will see significant increase in memory use after intial vm placements.
Dynamic load balancing is more for cpu, disk I/O or network usage wich may vary much while a VM is running.
For example, backup proxies will use a lot of disk I/O and network bandwith when operating @1am but none outside the backup time so they must be separated during backup.
Basically it will distribute load so that all your VMs will be able to run with maximum efficiency all the time. And this using 0% of your time.
We NEED that so that our VMs (hundreds) are evenly distributed across our clusters.
We have that with vmware now with DRS and predictive DRS.
We may switch to Nutanix since they provide that.
We can´t switch to Proxmox before this is a Proxmox feature.

We may switch to Nutanix since they provide that.
We can´t switch to Proxmox before this is a Proxmox feature.
Your requirements are valid and the choice is yours, of course. Its my understanding that Nutanix licensing and pricing can easily get to the similar levels as ESX. So you may not be better off financially anyway. Of course, Proxmox licensing is a rounding error compared to either one of those solutions.
Good luck in whichever way you pick.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!