Production and Test Environments - Best configuration options

geoffh

Aug 24, 2020
Hi
I'm a noob, so just need some guidance.
I have been running ProxMox 6.2-4 on an Intel NUC in a test environment for some time to get used to the product and to see if it meets my needs.
I like the product very much and there seems to be a lot of help available in the forum, using web searches as well as YouTubers. This test environment has currently 21 virtual machines/LXCs comprising 3-4 versions of linux, Windows 10, Docker and Portainer. I intend to continue to use this test machine as my "sand-box" to try things out, get the configurations right and so on.
I have a new machine on order to use as my production machine. There is nothing that I do that needs high availability and I can suffer some small outages from time to time so long as I can recover (from back-ups if need be).
I would like to be able to see both the Test and Production environments on the one web interface (https://999.999.999..201:8006)
I would also like to be able to copy a production ready VM or LXC from the Test to Production environment
Is the only way that I can achieve this is to join these hardware environments into a cluster?

I have searched the internet, YouTube and this forum for a specific answer and have failed to find a definitive answer.
Thank you for any assistance/guidance you can provide

hi,

I would like to be able to see both the Test and Production environments on the one web interface (https://999.999.999..201:8006)
I would also like to be able to copy a production ready VM or LXC from the Test to Production environment
Is the only way that I can achieve this is to join these hardware environments into a cluster?
the easiest way to achieve what you want is joining them in a cluster, yes.

copying VM/CT can be done without joining a cluster, you can do a backup/restore

Reactions: geoffh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!