problems with any kind of external VNC Session (as opposed to internal)

All proxmox-servers can be reached via the Apache-Webserver-Interface with their VNC Sessions - as long as I'm connected with them internally. With "internally" I mean another PC next to my proxmox but both behind a firewall-router-modem.
When I connect from outside - i.e. through my router (DynDNS.org-Adress) I open the Web Interface side (Port is redirected from ..dyndns.org:48080 to proxmox:80) without any problem. But I can't open any VNC session..
How to do this?
My other machine holds more than 30 Virtual Machines (VirtualBox) which can be adressed via VNC or RDP with redirected Ports from outside - e.g: dyndns.org:38525 leads to VirtualBox-14 Port 5900 and so on.)

I lack information on the VNC-Part of Proxmox - could anyone please give me a link for howto - or some basic insight in the method used.

VNC ports: 5900 to 5999.

Maybe I'm silly ...
But i don't understand your message.
Do You mean by your remark : "Ports 5900 - 5999 " - that I have to redirect all these ports to proxmox - or to the proxmox-VMs which have specified IP-Adresses.
Maybe this is my mistake - I redirected a a Port like 48201 to the IP-Adress ov VM101: Port 5900 , e.g to 192.168.1.201:5900 (a Win2k8-Domaincontroller as a VM within proxmox) instead of redirecting to 192.168.1.200:5900 (the IP of proxmox itsself).

And do I really have to redirect ALL Ports from 5900-5999 ?

Maybe I'm silly ...
But i don't understand your message.
Do You mean by your remark : "Ports 5900 - 5999 " - that I have to redirect all these ports to proxmox - or to the proxmox-VMs which have specified IP-Adresses.
Maybe this is my mistake - I redirected a a Port like 48201 to the IP-Adress ov VM101: Port 5900 , e.g to 192.168.1.201:5900 (a Win2k8-Domaincontroller as a VM within proxmox) instead of redirecting to 192.168.1.200:5900 (the IP of proxmox itsself).

And do I really have to redirect ALL Ports from 5900-5999 ?
Hi,
if you want to be sure (and have a lot of vnc-connections), you must redirect all ports (5900-5999) to the proxmox-host.
Just connect internely some vnc-session and do on the proxmox host a
Code:
netstat -an | grep 59
and you will see what happens...

Udo

sorry for my cynical answer, but of course i can't give proxmox ALL or ANY ports.
In: /usr/share/pve-manager/root/qemu/vnc-direct.htm there is a line at the end concerning ports (the last block of text) -
which i Cant't properly copy and paste here easily - as i work via remote-remote-connections.
it says something like $out .= "<param name = PORT value = '$port' >\n";

Should i try and play with this to fix ports and set them on a fixed port number ?

I reconnect my internal exchangeserver-session and the i directly reconnected it.
Another: " netstat -an | grep 59" was answered in this way
tcp 0 0 proxmox-IP:5900 Connecting-PC-IP:28346

So with what kind of methodology vnc is working ?
Hi,
normaly the first vnc-session takes the port 5900, the second (vm) 5901 and further...

Udo

Thank You, Udo, for writing on this - maybe we can solve it. :
My older main Desktop-Server-PC was a 8-GB-RAM-QuadCore-machine running openSuse 11.0 KDE 3.5.9 with VNC Sessions for the main user and his desktops on Ports 5900 and 5901-5903 as well as 5801 to 5803 for serving out remote KDM Login sessions. I changed all the VNC ports to 59100 to 59103 but left the VNC-Http-Ports as they were (5801 to 5803). Furthermore I have roundabout 30 virtual machines which can be reached via VNC (or sometimes RDP) => usually on Port 5900 on their own fixed IP. Of course I need these machines remotely, and therefore these machines use Port-redirections from my Router-modem (German avm fritzbox), e.g.: XXX.dyndns.org:49108 connects to VM nr 8 on Port 5900.
Now: I suspect that my suse host machine announced Port 5900 all over the network. Therefore I changed it to the new ports mentioned above. maybe I can fix all other things aroung => to be able to use proxmox in the way You described it : "[B]normaly the first vnc-session takes the port 5900, the second (vm) 5901 and further..."[/B]

I would be glad If I knew how:
1) the VNC-method of proxmox really works: Is Port 5901 for the Second proxmox VM, or the second session ?
2) whether I can give a VM like VM 104 a fixed VNC-Port, even if it is started as the "first vnc-session"

Take a look on the source code if you want to "really" know how it works...

A fixed VNC port per VM is not implemented.

Thanks -
now i Konow it.
A workaround for me is :
1) to install further remote apps in the servers I need - i.e. RDP and NX or VNC progs on the running servers -
2) and an internal PC which is capable of network-booting from outside and which can be used to open up the servers via the internal way but is itsself visible remotely. (Only for the cases where a "new" VM lacks an own Remote-App.

Thanks to Tom and UDO !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!