Problem with PVE 3.0 High Availability

go for a external power fencing device (or integrated power fencing device in a UPS).

go for a external power fencing device (or integrated power fencing device in a UPS).

This setup is in my room..just a test lab..i have no UPS...just some regular power plug i have

You'll need a fencing device regardless of where your setup is.
I use a managed switch. If you can't get a managed switch then you'll have to select one of the other devices. An UPS is a great choice as tom suggested.

You'll need a fencing device regardless of where your setup is.
I use a managed switch. If you can't get a managed switch then you'll have to select one of the other devices. An UPS is a great choice as tom suggested.

So HA can't be setup or work until i have a fence device...even though using a managed switch doesn't mean much is only one switch or even a UPS...if only one..still no redundancy there...so what exactly is the use of this fencing thing? I mean HA can be needed without redundancy sometimes..like if the motherboard of hard drive of one node is bad...HA can help there...doesn't have to be only with redundancy setup

The fencing ensures that only one instance of any VM run at any time on any node. Without fencing you will likely end up in a situation where a VM will be running on two different nodes with a guaranty for that this VM will crash in an unrecoverable way.

I only just got HA setup and working. But from what I understand that in the event there is a loss of connectivity the fence agent will put down the effected node/port so that it does not try to restore or bring up a VM that has already begun or completed migration.

Okay i have a gigabit switch and the power for each node are separate ofcourse...so why can't i setup fencing with this setup...why i have to go and get a UPS or a managed switch when all i want is just a small setup?

Anyways so no other way for me to setup HA until i get a managed switch? And even if i do get a managed switch..how do i setup a managed switch for fencing?

Thanks

This looks like to support was is needed. The important thing is the available management through SNMP. Only thing, IMHO, missing is a console interface which means that if you loose network access to the switch you can only regain access by resetting it to default mode so remember to backup your settings frequently.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!