Problem with Physical migration to Proxmox VE

jcpham

Apr 12, 2009
Hello!

Have been attempting to migrate some test machines to Proxmox VE and I'm running into problems everytime. I have followed the Wiki on several different machines and I always end up with the same result:

Once I try to start the VM after all of the steps are complete, the console just says "Booting from Hard Disk..." and it sits there. I let it sit overnight one time but nothing ever happened. I've also noticed that the kvm process for whatever VM I'm trying to migrate/start is spiking the CPU at 100%.

I've tried multiple machines - desktops, servers with IDE and RAID. Every one I convert, I can open in vmware server/player/workstation fine. So I know the images are good as far as vmware is concerned, but something is happening (or not happening) once I get the images back on the PVE host and use qemu-img and convert them to qcow2.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm using the latest version(s) of vmware converter/server/player etc, and this goes for the .vmdk images I've been creating also. Do I need to create older version .vmdk's?

Anyone else actually doing P2V migration, using the Wiki article as a reference? Does it work/not work?

Hello!

Have been attempting to migrate some test machines to Proxmox VE and I'm running into problems everytime. I have followed the Wiki on several different machines and I always end up with the same result:

Once I try to start the VM after all of the steps are complete, the console just says "Booting from Hard Disk..." and it sits there. I let it sit overnight one time but nothing ever happened. I've also noticed that the kvm process for whatever VM I'm trying to migrate/start is spiking the CPU at 100%.

I've tried multiple machines - desktops, servers with IDE and RAID. Every one I convert, I can open in vmware server/player/workstation fine. So I know the images are good as far as vmware is concerned, but something is happening (or not happening) once I get the images back on the PVE host and use qemu-img and convert them to qcow2.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm using the latest version(s) of vmware converter/server/player etc, and this goes for the .vmdk images I've been creating also. Do I need to create older version .vmdk's?

Anyone else actually doing P2V migration, using the Wiki article as a reference? Does it work/not work?

what guest OS do you try to migrate?

I have this exact problem. The guest OS is primarily Windows 2003, though I used SelfImage on an XP workstation receiving the same result. I have gone so far as to set the CD to boot first and booted from an XP CD. The setup utility sees the virtual disk, which has 2 partitions. Windows allows for multiple copies of Windows on a disk so I performed a parallel install. The files wrote to the drive but when it rebooted for the next step, I was stuck at "Booting from Hard Disk".

I have successfully loaded Windows Small Business Server with 2008 from scratch. I created a virtual machine and booted the install from CD and built a fresh server.

I started with VMWare converter just as the wiki suggests but I have also performed the SelfImage approach to a .img file and then did a qemu-img convert to qcow2.

I am using Proxmox v1.5

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I got a bit further that the above poster, the missing step is to make sure you set the boot flag in gparted.

Now I am getting the 0x0000007B error BSOD even though I ran the reg fix stuff first.

It would help if you provide some details. pls open a new thread and tell in detail what you did and where you failed.

Apologies, I phrased it very badly. What I should have said is that:

If like the above poster your KVM instance is just waiting at the booting from hard disk prompt make sure that you set the boot flag in gparted when you created the partition. If you didn't don't panic just boot from a linux live cd with gparted and you can set it in there by right clicking on the partition.

I will put my problem in another thread :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!