Problem with Machine startup after physical to virtual

Superfly

Mar 5, 2013
Hi Guys,

i have tryed to virtualise a very old physical machine in our firm (SCSI Disks).
But i have big Problems to start it in the virtual enviroment. I have tryed 2 different ways.

First here are one info Screen for you from the physikal machine (seeing the Volumes with fdisk):

Bild1.jpg

The first one:

I have copyed the disks with the command:

dd if=/dev/sda | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/sda.raw"

Then i have one big file. I think those are all the Harddrives from the machine in one .raw Image but i am not Sure.

When i boot the machine i have got the following error after the Boot Option Screen:

Bild2.JPG

The second one:

I have copyed the disks with the command:

dd if=/dev/sda1 | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-1.raw"
dd if=/dev/sda2 | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-2.raw"
dd if=/dev/sda3 | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-3.raw"
dd if=/dev/sda4 | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-4.raw"
dd if=/dev/sda5 | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-5.raw"

I have mounted the disks like this:

vm-111-disk-1.raw -> ISCSI 0:0
vm-111-disk-2.raw -> ISCSI 0:1
vm-111-disk-3.raw -> ISCSI 0:2
vm-111-disk-4.raw -> ISCSI 0:3
vm-111-disk-5.raw -> ISCSI 0:4

When i boot the machine i have got the following error directly at the beginning:

Bild3.JPG

Why doesn´t it work? I hope you can help me. I´ve you need more information please write me.

Hi guys,

i have a little Update for you.
I have seen that there is a second physical Volume (sdb).

Bild4.jpg.png

No i have made a copy from sda and sdb an mounted it on SCSI 0:0 and 0:1
I have made the copy with dd and this command:

dd if=/dev/sda | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/sda.raw"
dd if=/dev/sdb | ssh root@TargetProxmoxHere "cat > /var/lib/vz/images/111/sdb.raw"

But after mounting the raw images i have the same Error like before.

Bild2.JPG

I have try to mount the disks with a Knoppix Live CD.
After i have a made a vgchange -ay the Logical Volumes was active and i can mount them.
Why are the System dont wanna boot. I doesn´t understand the Problem and have no more ideas *cry*
Please help me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!