problem with linux bridge

Emorej

Apr 18, 2024
Good morning,
I am a beginner in infrastructure and I wanted to have my own personal server.
I installed Linux Debian 12.5, configured an FTP server, an OpenVPN server, created two sites, in short everything was fine!
then I wanted to install proxmox 8.1 (all my installations are in cli) on top of my debian and... disaster. I don't understand Linux bridges so that my containers can have proper access to the internet. I crash my ethernet port every time I have to configure my vmbr0 from the proxmox web interface, I have to connect locally to debug.
I need help and to understand why I can't do it.
sorry for my english and thanks for reading.

because I think it is also possible to do it like that. Do you think it would be better if I completely reinstalled Proxmox?

the beginner comes to get information to improve himself. too complicated to want to help me?

you will learn how PVE works when you install the provided iso.
You need to "see" the default network & storage configuration to "understand" them.
once you get the basis, you can install it over a regular debian server.

Hi Emorej

Proxmox brings some new packages regarding networking, that's the reason why your structure falls apart.
Well, for a beginner it's definitelly better to install Proxmox from iso and than create new VMs on which you'll be able to deploy your OpenVPN, FTP-Serv etc.

Best regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!