Problem with creating bridge vmbr0 on single nic host booting from iscsi SAN

nomizfs

Renowned Member
Jan 7, 2015
hi

I'm successfully booting a proxmox node over iscsi via ipxe, per the iscsi guide.

However i'm unable to add a bridge interface, if an entry for vmbr0 exists in /etc/network/interfaces, the boot process halts at "Configuring network interfaces"

i have tried different options for vmbr0, like no ip and bridge_stp on/off, seems that if the entry just exists, the boot halts. My guess is it breaks the iscsi connection altough there's no kernel messages referring to that.

i have a static ip defined for the host at grub kernel options.. so question is:

- can i use a linux bridge on a interface that has OS mounted on remote iscsi target?
- if not, are there other options, does OVS work differently?
- would it be possible to first create a physical bridge (brctl) and then link a vmbr with different ip to that?

tia, mike

i'm running a bunch of old computers as a proxmox cluster, and i want to run them as diskless nodes booted from sparse zvol's shared via istgt, that way i can run writable snapshots of one proxmox cluster and run 10 nodes from one SSD taking just a bit more space than 1 proxmox node.

running the nodes diskless would free me to use the node HDD's as storage for a distributed FS

it would be possible to add secondary network cards onto the nodes, but just wanted to know if it's possible to bridge a interface that is used by host iscsi backed root?

Last edited:
well after further research, there probably are ways to setup the bridge and assign an ip to it early in the boot process, by adding brctl binary to initramfs, and using kernel options, but a better way is to just get a bunch of secondary nic's for the servers and be done with it, so i consider this matter resolved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!