[SOLVED] Problem ram allocation on VM

andmattia

Feb 13, 2024
I've all win machine on my istance affected by memory allocation issue.

I read a lot of post/page but I can't found a root cause of this issue.

This machine is configured with
1709017378935.png
and from console I see this status
1709017447024.png

inside of win machine I can see that all ram it used by Driver Locked (Balloon service is enable)

1709017323867.png

If I disable the service nothing happen inside the VM but on console I don't have correct amount of used RAM.

If I disable "VirtIO Ballon Driver" this status change in this way

1709018129249.png

ObviouslyI can't see the correct data on console.
1709018197181.png

Any idea? Someone has the same issue?

I also observe that if I set ram (min & max) value with same data (= no share memory) the VM release virtual dirver memory.

thanks for your search but nothing explain how to use/configure Dynamic Memory (Ballooning).

We came from HyperV and in Hyperv if I set dynamic memory from 1Gb -> 4Gb the host assign max memory to 4Gb. To do the same thing in Proxmox I set dynamic memory from 1 to 4 Gb but from guest I see all memory allocated (unitl reach 90% off avaliable memory) and when application try to start (in same case not all) check available memory and SO say "No memory" because "Driver Locked" VirtIO Balloning consume all space.

The same situation not happen in Linux server. We have some VM the need high memory for limeted time but for the rest not need so we can share but at the moment is not possible to configure the VM to use dynamic but only fixed quantity.

"...but at the moment is not possible to configure the VM to use dynamic but only fixed quantity."

That is correct. You can't do what you did with Hyper-V. Balloon only works to keep host from running out of memory. It activates to take memory from VM's when the host memory becomes full. PVE does not have any feature that corresponds to Hyper-V dynamic memory. Closest thing might be memory hotplug but that only allows manual or scripted add/remove of memory (and guest must support it).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!