Problem installing PVE with hardware RAID

demetri90

Jun 27, 2013
Hello. Trying to install the latest PVE onto a RAID 5 array using a Vantec UGT-ST310R card. When it asks me for Target Harddisks, it lists each physical drive instead of the array. Am I supposed to load a driver during this?

Is a "fake hardware raid" I suppose, real raid card are seen as a single entity (or as many as they have grouped the hd pool). Google the forum for this subject, there are plenty posts about this.

this is a software based, host raid = fake raid. don´t use it, not supported.

almost all hardware raid controller works as long as they support linux.

e.g. all Adaptec Controlle, LSI, HP smart array, etc.

Thanks. Is it even worthwhile to install PVE on a RAID array? Or can I just install it on it's own drive, and the configure a RAID5 volume separately after PVE is installed?

Thanks. Is it even worthwhile to install PVE on a RAID array? Or can I just install it on it's own drive, and the configure a RAID5 volume separately after PVE is installed?

raid protects from single disk failure and as single disks fails quite often it always make sense to use raid. so installing the system on a single disk is not recommended (but possible).

I'm trying to install PVE onto a single disk. I've gotten rid of the RAID arrays, and they are all single discs now. I get an error, unable to install boot loader. Another error in the log: unable to identify a filesystem in hd0; safety check can't be performed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!