Praid CP400I failed to instal Proxmox 8.0

Brabo

Jul 29, 2023
Hello,

I am facing problem while installing proxmox 8.0 on Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1320 M3 server with FUJITSU PRAID CP400i. Both bios and FW raid cards are the latest from the Fujitsu website.

When I try to install proxmox I see in the error log

megaraid_sas Init cmd return status failed for failed SCSI host​
megaraid_sas Failed from megasas_init_fw 6542​

I found information on the forum about adding the boot sequence parameter "intel_iommu=on iommu=pt" unfortunately it was without result.
I tried to install the older version of proxmox 6.4 and the same error appears.
I tried to install ubuntu 18 LTS also can't.
Only windows server R2 2012 can be installed without problems.

I'm not a complete expert on linux, is there any chance to run proxmox on this HW raid?

Bios Revision R1.34.0
Board GS D3373-B12 3
SPS FW 4.1.4.700
PRAID CP400i
Package 24.21.0-0151
FW Version 4.680.01-8560
Bios Version 6.36.00.3_4.19.08.00_0x06180205
Boot Block Version 3.07.00.00-0004

Best regards, Ondřej

I tried to install ubuntu 18 LTS also can't.
Both have the same kernel, try something different like Debian or Oracle Linux 7.

Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1320 M3 server with FUJITSU PRAID CP400i
I had a similar experience with an RX1330 M4 and a raid controller there. I cannot remember the Fujitsu name, but internally is was recognized as Intel C246 and loaded the megasr2 (embedded mega raid) driver, which presents itself as software raid via /proc/mdadm. One additional kernel parameter I used was modprobe.blacklist=ahci and loaded the vendor provided driver (only for RHEL-systems). I had a lot of problems with the raid controller In the end we downgraded the OS version to a previous version and used that one for the project and used only real hardware controllers for the next project with that platform.

I tried to download debian, but the situation is the same, the installer does not find any disk, i.e. the raid array.

I still tried SUSE Trial, but even this installation did not find the disk (According to the documentation for the server, it is compatible with this distribution)

I'll admit that I don't even know Raid controllers, basically I came across this in the context of a valuable server and when it was ready I wanted to get it up and running. If I don't manage to break up, I will put up with traffic without a raid field. If necessary, I will try operation with VMware, which should be compatible.

I still have one question, I thought it was a HW controller and not a SW raid, how do you write or am I wrong?
I would try other attempts, but I don't know what to do next, if the previous version of proxmox worked I would not hesitate to use it, but even version 6.4 cannot find the created virtual disk. The last thing is that I will try to add the parameter you write, then it is beyond my power.

Considering that I bought the entire server for $200, purchasing another HW Raid controller for my setup makes no sense.

Thank you for the advice, best regards Ondřej

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/prod...rimergy/components/pmod-157814.html#documents

According to the documentation for the server, it is compatible with this distribution
Most of the time, you need to install hardware vendor drivers to get it to work and therefore "it is supported".
Also, servers are not generally supported, you need to use the HCL in order to test for working setups. For Fujitsu you had the windows configurator and nowadays the web architect in which you can choose your OS an will only be presented with hardware that works. This is the same of e.g. VMware and you may also need drivers for VMware. You will get drivers for RHEL or SuSE, yet not for Ubuntu / Proxmox VE.

I still have one question, I thought it was a HW controller and not a SW raid, how do you write or am I wrong?
They are called Fake Raid Controller and are a mix of both (combined only the worst things) and work great with proper binary and closed source drivers, yet nothing you want with an purely open source OS like Debian, Ubuntu and Proxmox VE. In Linux you almost always have: works out-of-the-box or you will have a very, very hard time getting it to work.

Considering that I bought the entire server for $200, purchasing another HW Raid controller for my setup makes no sense.
A proper RAID controller will only set you back 20-30 euros on the used hardware market. You can also try to disable the RAID functionality and just use the disks as it. This may work in AHCI mode. Check your BIOS.

the FUJITSU PRAID CP400i is an LSI 3008 OEM controller. The best thing to do with such a card for proxmox use is to cross flash it with generic IT mode firmware. Best place to find instructions for this is on serverthehome but it looks down to me so I cant link.

the FUJITSU PRAID CP400i is an LSI 3008 OEM controller.
In 2540er series, this is the case and the controller just works fine in any OS I could think of. I have a lot of them and they work fine:

Code:
01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3
        [...]
        Kernel driver in use: mpt3sas

I'm not sure about the 1330er series, though. I found them to be a little bit different, maybe due to the lower end server components.

on Boot will not work
use 2nd sata => OS install=> implement drivers for controller

Hi Brabo,
omitting the controller issue, did you have any difficulty installing proxmox with this hardware?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!