Port mirroring with Open vSwitch- no row "tap" in port table

QMan

Dec 23, 2018
Hi all,

I am new to Open vSwitch and I've been running into an issue that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with.

I'm trying to set up SecurityOnion in my Proxmox homelab. My server only has 1 NIC, so I've added a second NIC adapter using my Thunderbolt 3 port. As a result, I also had to manually add this adapter in /etc/network/interfaces to have it show up as "Active" in the Proxmox GUI:
Code:
auto enx####
iface enx#### inet manual

I've been following these guides for the setup process:
https://andrewhofmans.com/blog/how-to/mirrored-ports-with-open-vswitch/
https://bilk0h.com/posts/security-onion-proxmox-open-vswitch#the-mirror

I'm able to get all the way through until the last step, which is creating the mirror port (example from the guide):
Code:
ovs-vsctl -- --id=@p get port tap700i1 \
    -- --id=@m create mirror name=span1 select-all=true output-port=@p \
    -- set bridge vmbr2 mirrors=@m

When I run this command using my "tap ID" and bridge name, I get the following:
ovs-vsctl: no row "[my Tap ID]" in table Port

I've confirmed the Tap ID by issuing the following command:
Code:
ip address | grep tap

And finding the Tap ID that corresponds to the VM number. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: tacitus_kilgore
if you use proxmox firewall, the interface in ovs will be the firewall link "fwpr<vmid>p<netid>" instead "tap<vmid>i<netid>"
I did try that interface but in my experience nothing was being mirrored. After I switched off the firewall and used the tap interface, the packets were being mirrored.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!