port 80/443 with fixed ip and a bunch of questions before jumping in

jjg60

Nov 27, 2021
My server/desktop runs Ubuntu, has a public IP and has a web server for family and friends.
The web server uses 2 Nvidia GPUs through Nvidia extensions to docker (a deep learning webserver).
I am thinking of converting to proxmox.

Q1: How would I configure proxmox to host a VM that serves port 80/443 on my existing public fixed IP?
Would proxmox get anther IP or use the same just another port?

Q2: I assume I will need to purchase a cheap GPU for proxmox so that I can pass through the 2 GPUs to the VM.
Where could I find the best instructions for how to do this?

Q3: I have multiple disks on my server/Desktop. I assume proxmox will need one reformated to zfs for it to use.
Can I leave the other disks alone (EXT) and pass them through to the web server VM?

Q4: If I have 2 vm for the web server, once that uses the 2 GPUs and one that uses 1 GPU
and I have 2 images for an other ubuntu one that uses no GPU and one that uses 1 GPU.
Does proxmox GUI allow me to change from (2 GPU web VM + no GPU other ubuntu)
to (1 GPU web VM + 1 GPU other Ubuntu) or do I need to change configuration each time?

Why / What I would solve: Currently everything is on my desktop, so I reconfigure the web server to use less GPU when I want to train using the GPU.
Would be nice to have vm's preconfigured and just launch those with my desired allocation of GPU.

Reason #2: Every 6-9 months, I make some random change to Ubuntu that completely messed up everything. To the point where I need to reinstall ubuntu and all the applications. This often takes 2 days. Ideally, when I mess up a VM, I could just launch an older version of the VM.

Q5: Another desktop: If I convert a windows PC to Proxmox and install windows 10 as a VM, will windows 10 want another license purchased or can proxmox pass through enough stuff to make windows think its on the same hw? Is this documented somewhere?

Q6: anyone have success running truenas on a VM? Is this documented somewhere?

My server/desktop runs Ubuntu, has a public IP and has a web server for family and friends.
The web server uses 2 Nvidia GPUs through Nvidia extensions to docker (a deep learning webserver).
I am thinking of converting to proxmox.

Q1: How would I configure proxmox to host a VM that serves port 80/443 on my existing public fixed IP?
Would proxmox get anther IP or use the same just another port?
If you are planning to run multiple webserver using the same ports with the same public IP you might want to have a look at a reverse proxy. A virtualized pfsense/OPNsense is also very powerful/useful and can run plugins like a reverse proxy, add additional security (DMZs, intrusion prevention, additional firewall, VPN server/client, ...).
Q2: I assume I will need to purchase a cheap GPU for proxmox so that I can pass through the 2 GPUs to the VM.
Where could I find the best instructions for how to do this?
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough
Q3: I have multiple disks on my server/Desktop. I assume proxmox will need one reformated to zfs for it to use.
Can I leave the other disks alone (EXT) and pass them through to the web server VM?
Theoretically yes. You can use "qm set" to pass them through to the VM. But keep in mind that these disks are still virtualized (thats not passing through real hardware like a PCI passthrough would do with your GPUs)
Q4: If I have 2 vm for the web server, once that uses the 2 GPUs and one that uses 1 GPU
and I have 2 images for an other ubuntu one that uses no GPU and one that uses 1 GPU.
Does proxmox GUI allow me to change from (2 GPU web VM + no GPU other ubuntu)
to (1 GPU web VM + 1 GPU other Ubuntu) or do I need to change configuration each time?
Why / What I would solve: Currently everything is on my desktop, so I reconfigure the web server to use less GPU when I want to train using the GPU.
Would be nice to have vm's preconfigured and just launch those with my desired allocation of GPU.

Reason #2: Every 6-9 months, I make some random change to Ubuntu that completely messed up everything. To the point where I need to reinstall ubuntu and all the applications. This often takes 2 days. Ideally, when I mess up a VM, I could just launch an older version of the VM.
Your GPUs can only be used by one VM at a time. You can still assign the same GPU to multiple VMs, but if that GPU is already used by another VM that VM won't start until the VMs that are already using that GPU are stopped.
Q5: Another desktop: If I convert a windows PC to Proxmox and install windows 10 as a VM, will windows 10 want another license purchased or can proxmox pass through enough stuff to make windows think its on the same hw? Is this documented somewhere?
If you got a retail license you can move that license to the new hardware. If its a OEM license then that license is bound to your old hardware and as soon as you change to much hardware that license won't be valid anymore. A VM will just see virtualized hardware, so a OEM license won't work anymore, because 100% of the hardware visible to the guest OS changed.
Q6: anyone have success running truenas on a VM? Is this documented somewhere?
Just search the forums. Alot of people here do this. If you got alot of drives you might want to get a HBA and pass it thriugh to the TrueNAS VM so TrueNAS can physically access all drives attached to that HBA.

Last edited:
If you are planning to run multiple webserver using the same ports with the same public IP you might want to have a look at a reverse proxy. A virtualized pfsense/OPNsense is also very powerful/useful and can run plugins like a reverse proxy, add additional security (DMZs, intrusion prevention, additional firewall, VPN server/client, ...).
Thank you. My question is much more basic. When the DHCP in the router the ISP provided does a broadcast ARP, currently my desktop/server/ubuntu responds. If I move ubuntu onto a VM, will the VM even see this ARP?

In others words, can I configure a VM to look like a PC on the lan?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!