Please Provide Advice For Proxmox Beginner

OXIB

Feb 19, 2018
Hello,
I am a beginner in Proxmox and I am learning as I go.
Wondering if someone is able and willing to guide me to resolve the following issue:

I have only one server and two virtual machine in it, Windows clients.
The main file system is ZFS – two 931.51 Gib hard drives.
Then I have an LVM 698.64 Gib hard drive set as extra storage.
I have proxmox set up to send me an email when there are issues.
Anyway, there are errors coming from the LVM hard drive apparently since January but I only started to get the emails yesterday night, not sure why but that doesn't matter now.
These are the two erros:

1 - Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 2490 Offline uncorrectable sectors Device info: ST3750640AS, S/N:5QD3284M, FW:3.AFM, 750 GB For details see host's SYSLOG.

2 - Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 2490 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors (changed +1) Device info: ST3750640AS, S/N:5QD3284M, FW:3.AFM, 750 GB For details see host's SYSLOG

These are not SSD drives.
Is there a way to repair this or is the hard drive really going down soon?
Are there any commands that I can run to try to repair it or find out how much more the drive can be used?
I have one VM on that drive and some storage, would I be able to move that to the ZFS drives?
Should I clone one of the machines or convert it to a template so that I don't lose the data?
Why would two of the drives show up as unknown?Errors.JPG FileSystem.JPG

I have attached two images for info. I'd really appreciate some help.
If you need more info, please let me know.
Thanks,
OXIB.

Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 2490 Offline uncorrectable sectors Device info: ST3750640AS, S/N:5QD3284M, FW:3.AFM, 750 GB For details see host's SYSLOG.

This hdd it will be broken very soon.

Make a backup of any VM (if you can), on zfs and then you can restore your VM using zfs .

Hello,
I am a beginner in Proxmox and I am learning as I go.
Wondering if someone is able and willing to guide me to resolve the following issue:

I have only one server and two virtual machine in it, Windows clients.
The main file system is ZFS – two 931.51 Gib hard drives.
Then I have an LVM 698.64 Gib hard drive set as extra storage.
I have proxmox set up to send me an email when there are issues.
Anyway, there are errors coming from the LVM hard drive apparently since January but I only started to get the emails yesterday night, not sure why but that doesn't matter now.
These are the two erros:

1 - Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 2490 Offline uncorrectable sectors Device info: ST3750640AS, S/N:5QD3284M, FW:3.AFM, 750 GB For details see host's SYSLOG.

2 - Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 2490 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors (changed +1) Device info: ST3750640AS, S/N:5QD3284M, FW:3.AFM, 750 GB For details see host's SYSLOG

These are not SSD drives.
Is there a way to repair this or is the hard drive really going down soon?
Are there any commands that I can run to try to repair it or find out how much more the drive can be used?
I have one VM on that drive and some storage, would I be able to move that to the ZFS drives?
Should I clone one of the machines or convert it to a template so that I don't lose the data?
Why would two of the drives show up as unknown?View attachment 8136 View attachment 8137

I have attached two images for info. I'd really appreciate some help.
If you need more info, please let me know.
Thanks,
OXIB.
Hi,
your lvm-hdd is ddying, like guletz allready wrote.

if you have an new hdd with the same size, or bigger, you can move the data online on the fly with lvm.

Add the new hdd, createn an partition table, expand the VG with the new Disk (partition, like "vgextend VGNAME /dev/sdd1").
Look with "vgs + pvs", and let lvm move the data with pvmove.

If the move is done (hopefully your demage hdd can do this job), you can reduce the VG with vgreduce.

After that all data are on the new hdd and you can disconnect the old one.

But, like guletz wrote, if you restore the data to zfs (mirror?), you are much more safe about an hdd-failure.

Udo

Thanks to both for the information.
I backed up the VM that is located on that HDD but after I restored it to ZFS, I started it and it boots but it does not get past the Windows logo.
The backup mode I did was a snapshot.
If I do a stop mode backup, does it make a difference? Will it eventually load?
I do not have a new HDD that is similar to the failing one. I rather just move the vm to the ZFS one and go from there.

Thanks!
OXIB.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!