PLease HELP recover container from cancelled vzmigrate

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
Hey guys,

I need some urgent help. I ran the command vzmigrate <node> <containerID> in order to migrate a container to a different note.

However because hit CTRL-C to cancel the process so I could do it from a different terminal.

I thought the process would gracefully cancel.. once cancelled, my 60Gb container on the first node disappeared completely.

Is there a way I can recover it? How come vzmigrate would delete a container upon UNsuccessful completion?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

No it was not.. it is a 60GB container.
I ran the command vzmigrate <nodeip> <containerID>
But just a few seconds into it I cancelled the command.

So my logical thought is that the container would remain were it was because vzmigrate was cancelled.
On the contrary it was not copied into the new node and it disappeared from the current node..

When I look at /etc/vz/conf it shows <containerid>.conf.destroyed.

It does not seem like this is an expected behavior. I am trying to figure out how I can recover something.
Shouldn't that container be somewhere in the main node in temp location?

It does not seem like this is an expected behavior. I am trying to figure out how I can recover something.
Shouldn't that container be somewhere in the main node in temp location?

No, there is no temp location.

Anyways, on PVE2 You should use the following command to migrate containers between cluster nodes:

# pvectl migrate <vmid> <target>

Thanks for your advice.

However we use proxmox 1.9.

After some digging into the filesystem I found some partial files inside /var/lib/vz/vztmp

I am not sure if these are partial files from a previous failed backup or from the migration I attempted to do.

Do you know what exactly writes in vztmp? Is it backup or migrate or both?

When I look at /etc/vz/conf it shows <containerid>.conf.destroyed.

That file is created at the very end of the vzmigrate script - after a successful rsync. I can't see how that can happen when you abort the script.

Have you looked on the second node? btw are you using shared storage?

No storage is not shared.. but more importantly this does not happen from the interface. It happened from running the vzmigrate command from the terminal (so I could copy 60GB through a private network instead of the internet).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!