Pihole keeps crashing (daily)

tonynca

Jun 10, 2023
Sorry if this is not the right place but Reddit is down due to protest and I'm running low on ideas...

Here's a copy of my debug log: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/hxbTaKPb/

My other lxc running Homebridge is fine, it's just Pihole that fails randomly.
I'm using an Asus AXE7800.

I followed this Asus guide to set the DNS on WAN only and left LAN alone since I'm on firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22068.

The only thing I could think of is that I did disable ipv6 on the pihole VM using the following edits:

Code:
nano /etc/sysctl.conf
#added the lines
below to sysctl.conf
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

All my other VMs are fine. It's just Pihole that crashes and when I try to do "ip a" I see this I have no ip address. It's just the mac address and no address.

Code:
less /var/log/syslog
does not show any errors

I'm completely lost now. No idea what the issue could be. Any help is appreciated.

Do you have an actual IP address assigned to your container in the container settings that isn't used on your network? If you don't have one assigned in the settings or don't use DHCP, then that could be your problem.

Gave up and tried to install a new lxc using a new method.

My original method was using this guide, which did not give me an option to disable ipv6. I was using dhcp as shown in that guide and setting my router to provide Pihole with a static IP based on mac address. I noticed with that guide, going to Tools > Network, my Pihole IP was showing an ipv6 address along with a ipv4 address.

I switched to using another pre-scripted lxc and also set static ip + ipv6 (SLAAC) on the container. I do not see an ipv6 address within Pihole Network tab using this new container.

Let's hope that fixed whatever issue I was having. If it passes 24 hrs today then I'm good.

Last edited:
Reactions: tteckster

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!