pfsense VM and proxmox firewall

fox95

Apr 14, 2022
I have a server with prox mox installed and a virtual machine of pfSense running on it for the firewall for my network.

what I am curious to know is what is the best way to configure the proxmox fire walls? should i just enable the “datacenter” firewall? or just the fire wall on the “node” or just the firewall on the VM? or all? or none?

would i be correct in thinking that it’s redundant and unnecessary to enable any of the proxmox firewalls since my WAN comes in through the NIC to the pfsense VM?

thanks

Your pfsense can only firewall between the subnets, so for example between WAN->LAN or LAN->DMZ. It can't firewall any communication inside a subnet. For that you got the PVE firewall.

Reactions: fox95 and hmohr
Your pfsense can only firewall between the subnets, so for example between WAN->LAN or LAN->DMZ. It can't firewall any communication inside a subnet. For that you got the PVE firewall.
Thanks Dunuin! I wasn't aware of the utility of PVE Firewall.

So..

Pfsense for inbound and outbound connections
PVE firewall for local comunication

Also you can checkout to use nic passtrought, if desired

Reactions: fox95
Good Morning,

wanna push again this post to understand what i'm doing wrong.
I've setup proxmox8 with 1 public IP and pfSense as router. As long i have never turn on the proxmox firewall, i've access to the internet (with pfsense and ofc the installed VMs).

Once i have activated the proxmox firewall, i have nowhere internet connection. Also when i turn off the firewall again. Tried also the cmd via `pve-firewall stop` but it doesn't help.

Before, when the firewall was activated, i added rules for http, https, ssh and ofc the webinterface to the datacenter firewall rules. I also tried to accept all incoming and outcoming traffic but still have no internet access.

Whould be nice to understand, what i'm doing wrong and where is my fallacy. Thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!