persistant drive mount problem

offerlam

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2012
Denmark
Hi guys,
its with my head bowed in shame i need to ask help on this.
I didn't know what i'm doing wrong. I have been googling and from the reads im doing it right?

I have added this line in fstab but when i boot proxmox it goes into emergency mode because the line is incorrect.
I just don't see what i'm doing wrong?

#/dev/sdd /mnt/ssd03 ext4 default 0 0

is the unique identifier a requirement? how do i find it for /dev/sdd

What is /dev/sdd for a drive?
ZFS?

What is your usecase for mounting it via fstab?

In general I would use a line with simple space -> /dev/sdd /mnt/ssd03 ext4 default 0 0

What is /dev/sdd for a drive?
ZFS?

What is your usecase for mounting it via fstab?

In general I would use a line with simple space -> /dev/sdd /mnt/ssd03 ext4 default 0 0
Hi,
its a raid 10 with 4 SSD disks.
use case is that i want proxmox to automount the drive on boot. as it is now i need to mount it manually everytime the server restarts.
So the problem with the line is that i seperate with tab in stead of space?

Hi,
its a raid 10 with 4 SSD disks.
use case is that i want proxmox to automount the drive on boot. as it is now i need to mount it manually everytime the server restarts.
So the problem with the line is that i seperate with tab in stead of space?
My fstab mounts work just with spaces but without tabs.

If it's a hardware RAID controller with no other usage then VM disks you might want to think about PVE built-in LVM-thin pools.
They do the mounting "magic" automatically.

is the unique identifier a requirement?
Not a requirement but you should use one or you might end up with a non-booting system like you do now when the disk enumeration changes (your sdd then for example is sdc so there is no sdd and mounting will fail).

how do i find it for /dev/sdd
Use blkid to find out the UUID of your disk/partition. Or use ls -la /dev/disk/by-id to get another unique identifier.

I just don't see what i'm doing wrong?

#/dev/sdd /mnt/ssd03 ext4 default 0 0
Did you create /mnt/ssd03 first? Did you format the whole disk with ext4 and not a partition on it? Because you try to mount he whole disk and not a partition on it.

Maybe it takes a little too long for the disk to become available? You could try adding noauto,x-systemd.automount to mount it only when it is used.

Did you create /mnt/ssd03 first? Did you format the whole disk with ext4 and not a partition on it? Because you try to mount he whole disk and not a partition on it.
Im not sure to be frank. does it matter much?

I will try and correct my fstab with spaces and see how that goes. Perhaps try the attrib leeteken provided aswell and see what happens. also add a UIUID.

tomorrow :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!