PERMISSION DENIED

ndoroe

Feb 5, 2022
Hi
please help
im trying to open /etc/apt/sources.list and its saying permission denied whilist im using root user.
please help in new to this
1644073164982.png

Last edited:
Then something is really wrong.
Output of the id command is this?:
Code:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Whats the output of ls -la /etc/apt? Should look like this:
Code:
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  475 Jan  5 07:29 sources.list

Last edited:
you need to add some tools which one you want to use, like vi or nano ;)

the correct comand:

vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Reactions: Dunuin
you need to add some tools which one you want to use, like vi or nano ;)

the correct comand:

vi /etc/apt/sources.list
*face palm* Didn't see that...
But without vi experience I would recommend nano. Its more noob friendly. So nano /etc/apt/sources.list and then save with CTRL+X, Y.

Last edited:
Then something is really wrong.
Output of the id command is this?:
Code:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Whats the output of ls -la /etc/apt? Should look like this:
Code:
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  475 Jan  5 07:29 sources.list
1644075091851.png

*face palm* Didn't see that...
But without vi experience I would recommend nano. Its more noob friendly. So nano /etc/apt/sources.list and then save with CTRL+X, Y.
Thanks very much, please help me with my main problem, i cant update, see below
1644075464623.png

Sounds like you setup a wrong DNS server. Put your routers IP or a public DNS server like 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf.

If you can't ping 8.8.8.8 then you probably setup a wrong gateway. Check that the gateway IP in /etc/network/interfaces is really your routers IP (so I would guess 192.168.1.1).

Last edited:
There is your problem. You should google what a gateway is and what it does. Change it to your routers IP (for example 192.168.1.1) and then restart your networking using systemctl restart networking.

Reactions: ndoroe
There is your problem. You should google what a gateway is and what it does. Change it to your routers IP (for example 192.168.1.1) and then restart your networking using systemctl restart networking.
thank you its now working

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!