Permanent local firewall configuration

Oct 10, 2023
Hi
To avoid to loose emails during patches and upgrades we usually closed the SMTP ports via the local firewall in the past at other Linux mail relays. Now I'm missing the functionality of iptables-save / iptables-restore at the PMG. Even after installing the mentioned packages and saving the firewall configuration we have an unconfigured firewall after the reboot. I think there are missing the scripts to restore the saved firewall configuration during the restart process.
Is there anyone who can help? Any other ideas?
Wolf

see: https://wiki.debian.org/iptables

but if you're looking into this topic anyways - I'd recommend getting familiar with nftables (modern implementation of a packet filter in the Linux kernel with a nicer sytax for rules)

I hope this helps!

Thanks for this hint.
However using the new nftables tool will not cover my problem to get the firewall rule persistent and reboot resistant. But I found a slightly different filesystem path for iptables-save at your link above. I'll give it a try and send a feedback.

Best regards
Wolf

However using the new nftables tool will not cover my problem to get the firewall rule persistent and reboot resistant.
it should simply enable the rules if you put them in /etc/nftables.conf - see `systemctl cat nftables.service` ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!