Periodic update of a replications server

yunmkfed

Sep 2, 2023
Hi,

My setup is a non-critical lab environment. Having said that I have VMs I treasure and don't want to loose (or redo)Capture.PNG.

With my VMWare I periodically stop a VM, RAR a volume and archive it. If I screw up the running VM, I transfer the archive, expand it and use it. I understand that this approach will result in data loss but I accept the risk and it does not bother me.

On Proxmox I have setup backups. My first question is how can I test this out without destroying the original. With VMWare I could extract to a different directory and when I attempt to run the VM I indicate that the machine has been copied rather than moved (generating a new MAC).

I do not have HA needs, but read about replication. My understanding of replication is that one has a number (2 in my case) PVE's and the VM is copied from one cluster to the other. With replication, if the main proxmox server goes down, would I be able to start the replicated machine and continue from there?

Thanks

Yes. Thats how replication works. If server 1 goes down, vm starts on server 2 with the data from the last sync. Automatically if you use ha, non automatically if you move the qm-file /etc/pve/qemu-server manually to the right directory. (this is usually done by the ha-manager) needs to be done manually if you dont use ha. For example, if node 5 is down, you need to move the file from here with a mv-command. This will result in having the vm-config present on the new node.

Code:
root@PMX4:/etc/pve# cd nodes/PMX5/qemu-server/

root@PMX4:/etc/pve/nodes/PMX5/qemu-server# ls
102.conf  103.conf  104.conf  105.conf  107.conf  108.conf  110.conf  117.conf  122.conf  124.conf  125.conf  300.conf  9002.conf

to here:

Code:
root@PMX4:/etc/pve/nodes/PMX5/qemu-server# cd /etc/pve/qemu-server

root@PMX4:/etc/pve/qemu-server# ls
106.conf  111.conf  120.conf  121.conf  123.conf  150.conf  151.conf  152.conf  153.conf  154.conf

Regarding backups you can restore to a different vm-id and youll get new mac-address by setting the "unique" chechbox.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!