PCI DVB card passthrough into VM

Kabelwalter

Sep 13, 2020
73760 Ostfildern
Hello!

I ask friendly for advice before I give up:

A DVB PCI card TechniSat SkyStar HD2 DVB-S2 is installed in a Dell Optiplex 7040 MT with Intel 6400 Core i5 4x2.70 GHz CPU.

In an LXC I can pass the DVB card into a yaVDR on an Ubuntu.
The following lines are added to the configuration:
/etc/pve/lxc/105.conf
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 212:* rwm lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dvb dev/dvb none bind,optional,create=dir

So far, so good.
But I would rather use VDR in a VM with the MiniDVBLinux (MLD) distribution, including kvm-virtio driver.

I have followed these instructions: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough
Everything seems to be right afterwards.

The attempt to start the VM with MLD always ends with this error message:
root@server:~# qm start 107
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:03:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10: vfio 0000:03:00.0: Failed to set up TRIGGER eventfd signaling for interrupt INTX-0: VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS failure: Device or resource busy
start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

As soon as I remove the entry hostpci0: 03:00.0 from /etc/pve/qemu-server/107.conf the VM starts - of course without finding the DVB card.

In several articles I read that the SkyStar 2 is difficult because of the interrupts.
There is only one PCI slot on the motherboard, so it is not possible to change to another one.

As a test, I attached a DVBSky S960 via USB to the same Proxmox PC and passed it to the VM with MLD via the GUI. That went then "just like that". However, I am unhappy with the S960 for other reasons and wish it would work with the SkyStar 2 PCI card.

Maybe there is someone who knows a trick?
Or perhaps it is easiest to buy another DVB card.

Walter

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!