PBS vs backup job is PVE

NinthWave

Sep 27, 2021
Montreal, CANADA
I read the documentation and cannot get why I would need PBS over just running backup jobs from : PVE\Datacenter\Backup ?

I'd like some explainer on the limitations of the later ?

Thanks

You mean except for being able to:
- use encryption
- ransomware protection
- zero trust
- verifying backups so you aren't screwed when you need to restore it but it silently corrupted
- saving tons of space because of deduplicaton (storing 12 monthly + 4 weekly + 7 daily + 24 hourly backups with PBS will probably consume less space than 2 or 3 daily backups with VZDump)
- incremental backups possible (so less wasted bandwidth and backups will only take a fraction of the time)
- live restore (so you can run that VM even while it is still restoring)
- syncing backups between multiple PBSs (great for your offsite requirement of the 3-2-1 rule)
- single file restores so you can get a file of a VM without needing to restore the whole VM

Last edited:
You mean except for being able to:
- use encryption
- ransomware protection
- zero trust
- verifying backups so you aren't screwed when you need to restore it but it silently corrupted
- saving tons of space because of deduplicaton (storing 12 monthly + 4 weekly + 7 daily + 24 hourly backups with PBS will probably consume less space than 2 or 3 daily backups with VZDump)
- incremental backups possible (so less wasted bandwidth and backups will only take a fraction of the time)
- live restore (so you can run that VM even while it is still restoring)
- syncing backups between multiple PBSs (great for your offsite requirement of the 3-2-1 rule)
- single file restores so you can get a file of a VM without needing to restore the whole VM
ahahaha THANKS

no, not except for that. That's exactly what I needed.

Either I did not read thorouhly or, I would have benefited from a "comparison table" that I did not find but I fully get the benefits you listed.

I would add it's not that I did not find what was offered by PBS but rather that I did not easily found what PVE integrated solution did not offer.

Either way, thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!