PBS Limit or Exclude VM Volume

no, the VM backup happens on a (virtual) disk/block level, only full disks can be included or excluded.

Hi,
there is a Backup checkbox in the advanced settings when editing the disk in the VM's Hardware view in Proxmox VE.

The disk will not be included in the backup if Backup isn't ticked.

Be very careful when restoring that VM: if restoring to the same VMID, the restore will remove the VM, deleting the non-backed-up disk. Then, only the backed up disks will be restored. That means that you may lose some hopefully unimportant data and also that you should add that disk to the VM configuration. Depending on the VM OS and configuration, it may not even boot (i.e. Linux with a drive mount on /etc/fstab set as auto). Practice with some test VMs.

The disk will not be included in the backup if Backup isn't ticked.

Be very careful when restoring that VM: if restoring to the same VMID, the restore will remove the VM, deleting the non-backed-up disk.
This is only true for owned mount point volumes of containers, because containers are backed-up and restored as a whole file-system at the moment. For a VM, only disks that are part of the backup will be removed during restore (based on the drive key, i.e. if the backup includes scsi1, then the current scsi1 disk will be removed). Others are kept as unused disks.
Then, only the backed up disks will be restored. That means that you may lose some hopefully unimportant data and also that you should add that disk to the VM configuration. Depending on the VM OS and configuration, it may not even boot (i.e. Linux with a drive mount on /etc/fstab set as auto). Practice with some test VMs.

Reactions: VictorSTS
@VictorSTS

The TrueNAS Scale VM is the target storage for other LXC containers/VMs which have their own backups. I just wanted to get the NAS/OS backup. I will ensure if needed to restore to alternate VMID and remap drives to it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a bit dense - I'm in the exact same scenario: I have TrueNAS in a VM and I want to back it up because the update from 7 to 8 says I should back up my VMs. But when I go to back it up, the only option I get is the whole VM including the passthrough disks and it tries to back up 20TB which I don't want. I only want to backup the VM. Where do I go to exclude the passthrough disks? Or are you saying remove the disks, do the backup and reattach after a backup?

EDIT: Nevermind, I have found it! Thank you. See? Told you I was a wee bit daft. lol

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!