PBS datastore add error EPERM operation not permitted on OVH NFS storage

aluisell

May 30, 2019
I have virtual system on OVH cloud.
PBS is running as virtual machine of PVE.
I have created and mount an NFS storage in PBS at /mnt/xxx

/etc/fstab
ovhstorageserveraddress/path /mnt/pbs nfs defaults 0 0

/etc/mtab
ovhstorageserveraddress/path /mnt/pbs nfs4 rw,relatime,vers=4.1,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=192.168.xxx.xxx,local_lock=none,addr=xx.xx.xx.xx 0 0

here below the list of the files in the mount folder
drwxrwxr-x 4 _chrony users 7 Jan 5 11:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 19 08:50 ..
-r-------- 1 _chrony users 0 Jan 6 02:00 .banner
drwxr-xr-x 2 _chrony users 11 Dec 29 17:53 dump
-rw------- 1 _chrony users 14 Jan 6 02:00 .ftpquota
drwxr-xr-x 3 _chrony users 3 Dec 20 17:14 images
-rw-r--r-- 1 _chrony users 20 Jan 5 11:57 testfile.txt

root user can create file (I have created the testfile.txt)
I think .chunck file is missing and that is probably the results of the eperm error i get.
permission on mount point is 775, I have also tried 777 but without success.

same storage path is also mounted on the pve hosts as nfs storage.

is the ownership of the folder right?
What else can I try to check?
Any clue why datastore creation gives error?

Thanks

pbs executes most of it's code with the 'backup' user, that must have read/write/etc. permissions on the folder that you try to set up for the datastore

pbs executes most of it's code with the 'backup' user, that must have read/write/etc. permissions on the folder that you try to set up for the datastore
Hi Dominik,

security at OVH it's made from ACL so there's no "specific authentication user" to be used.
the unmounted folder /mnt/mountfolder does have 775 and it's owned by backup user and backup group.
once the nfs share is mounted (you can see mtab detais above) it become _chrony:user from backup:backup.

Regards

Andrea

as i said you have to make sure the path you want to use is writable by the local 'backup' user on pbs, you could try to 'chown' a directory on the nfs to that user

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!