[SOLVED] PBS connection problem - timeout issue?

Waschbüsch

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2014
Munich
Hi there,

I noticed that sometimes backups will just fail with either of two messages:

Error: permission check failed.
or
401 Unauthorized
The problem is that this occurs randomly with some VM backups while others just run.

If I test the backup storage from a PVE node, by executing this mulitple times in a row:
root@srv05:~# pvesm status --storage pbs
It mostly works and show the correct info:
Name Type Status Total Used Available %
pbs pbs active 7540842112 3186444544 4354397568 42.26%
but here also I randomly get
proxmox-backup-client failed: Error: permission check failed.
or sometimes
pbs: error fetching datastores - 401 Unauthorized
When either of the two errors occur, the command always takes a little longer before it returns anything, so my current assumption is that there might be some sort of timing / timeout issue?

Admittedly, I upgraded the PVE node where PBS is installed along with the rest of the cluster to PVE 7, so it might just be that. But maybe someone else has seen this behavior before?

Hi there,

I noticed that sometimes backups will just fail with either of two messages:

or

The problem is that this occurs randomly with some VM backups while others just run.

If I test the backup storage from a PVE node, by executing this mulitple times in a row:

It mostly works and show the correct info:

but here also I randomly get

or sometimes

When either of the two errors occur, the command always takes a little longer before it returns anything, so my current assumption is that there might be some sort of timing / timeout issue?
no, that is just the brute-force mechanism being triggered and adding a delay to unauthorized requests ;)
Admittedly, I upgraded the PVE node where PBS is installed along with the rest of the cluster to PVE 7, so it might just be that. But maybe someone else has seen this behavior before?
it's a bug - already fixed in git: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pbs-devel/2021-July/003653.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!