Passthrough USB-C to Windows VM for DP Alt-Mode Display possible?

EODelf

May 2, 2024
I am by no means an expert at any of this so any help is appreciated. Tried to do my due diligence googling first, but I've hit a wall with no clear path forward.

Trying to passthrough the USB C port to the Windows 11 VM to use a USB C Touchscreen display as an interactive Display for Home Assistant Dashboard (hosted on a different machine and VM). I'm certainly willing to use Ubuntu/Linux if that makes things easier, all I really need is a chrome browser on the touchscreen.

System - HP EliteDesk 800 35W G4 Desktop Mini PC with "Flex Port" usb-c with DP Alt-Mode (LINK to Flex Port Data Sheet)

The USB C touchscreen, cable, and "Flex Port" USB-C DP with ALT-Mode all work properly and displays the BIOS and proxmox boot screen info, once the VM starts the screen turns off and I can't get past that point with any success. The iGPU seems to be successfully passed through, I cleared an Error 43 and it's reported as working in Device Manager.

I've passed through the iGPU and the USB 3.1 controller, but I'm gluing things together from across the internet trying to make this work with no real understanding of it all. Based on various internet posts I've done the following:

• in /etc/default/grub added:
    • GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"
  • in /etc/modules added:
    • vfio
    • vfio_iommu_type1
    • vfio_pci
    • vfio_virqfd
    • kvmgt
    • xengt
    • vfio-mdev
    • thunderbolt
    • thunderbolt-net
  • in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf added:
    • blacklist radeon
    • blacklist nouveau
    • blacklist nvidia
    • blacklist nvidiafb
  • in /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf added
    • options kvm ignore_msrs=1
  • in /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf added
    • options kvm ignore_msrs=1
  • in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf added (for iGPU passthrough)
    • options vfio-pci ids=8086:3e92 disable_vga=1

I'm sure I've left out some detail, if any of you have a clue what I'm doing wrong, or if this is even possible, please let me know.

Note to anyone who found this... just use Ubuntu LTS with all additional drivers, etc. and it just works with the same setting above.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!