Passthrough Hardware Transcoding - Visible but not being utilised

Whyte_Rhabit

Feb 7, 2024
Goal - Have hardware transcoding on a virtual machine using a GTX 1070 TI as the GPU.

Achieved so far from following https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough#Enable_the_IOMMU. I have gotten so far to the point now where running
Code:
nvidia-smi
will show me Picture 1 in the VM. I can't get this to be used so I see no processes running. I am wondering if my next step should be drivers and if my logical thinking is correct?

What I would also like to understand is that I have followed a guide but no where did it mention "Resource Mapping" which I read in another article. Is this just a method used so you can easily as it says map something for users to select easily as not to not mess with IOMMU groups? I'm just wondering if this is just an "option to" as opposed to it needs to be done. Like in Picture 2.

Apologies for the most likely repeated posted but I have been looking at this for two days and have decided it's time to reach out now. IF you need anything more please ask and thanks for any and all help received.

PIcture 2
Screenshot 2024-02-07 103541.png

Picture 1
image.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!