Passthrough = crash

autobotanist

Jun 25, 2023
Hi team. I followed a technotim (youtube) guide on setting up proxmox and another guide by the same for allowing GPU passthrough. I feel confident in most of that is good practices but let me describe the problem.

After installing windows 10 (limited install) and running updates and enabling chrome remote desktop. Also setting up the guest agent and confirming that its working and even disabling ipv6 which I'm not sure is necessary (I just wanted a normal looking IP address because the guide I was following had one).

All of that is running smooth, but I move towards altering the VM to allow passthrough. When I boot the VM it fails. I have been struggling with this for a while now. So without even following all of the passthrough steps, but just enabling UEFI, q35 and adding the EFI disk, upon boot I get the following error.

kvm: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-ide1,id=ide1,bootindex=103: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units​
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1​

This issue with IDE doesn't make any sense to me but I do have IDE selected for two disk images the installation media (ide = 0) and the virtio drivers (ide = 1)
###############
System info: Proxmox 7.3-3, Intel core i9-13900k, Nvidia 3090, Z790 UD AC motherboard.
###############
I verified that IOMMU is enabled (confirmed through the CLI command DMAR grep command)
###############
nano /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf
blacklist nvidiafb​
blacklist nvidia​
blacklist radeon​
blacklist nouveau​
###############
nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf
~​
~​
cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid​
~​
~​
###############
nano /etc/default/grub
~​
~​
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction video=efifb:off”
~​
~​
###############
nano /etc/modules
vfio​
vfio_iommu_type1​
vfio_pci​
vfio_virqfd​
###############

I'm at a loss. Is it an issue with having bleeding edge updates enabled in proxmox? Is it interrupt remapping? (I believe its the x2apic mode). Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.

Last edited:
Try moving one or both of the disks using IDE controller to SATA controller instead. The error message is saying you are trying to run two disks where the controller only supports one.

Try moving one or both of the disks using IDE controller to SATA controller instead. The error message is saying you are trying to run two disks where the controller only supports one.
Thanks so much for your quick response.

So... I have tried things like that in the past. Even just removing them entirely since the installation media and the driver disk are no longer needed.

I just tried it: the boot stopped at a screen that says:
BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0001 "UEFI QEMU HARDDISK " from PciRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1E,0x0)/Pci(0x5,0x0)/Scsi (0x0,0x0): not found​
>> Start PXEover IPv4​
PXE-E16: No valid offer recieved.​
BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0004 "UEFI PXEV6​

########
After some time it also tries to PXE boot over IPV6 then falls back to a UEFI interactive shell...

If I revert to seabios, delete EFI disk, i440fx then windows boots. Just fine. But I removed both of the CD/DVD hardware configs that were using the IDE controller. I hope that is sufficient for your curiosity.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!