p2v ms sbs 2011 failed

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi!

i ran into some trouble lately.
I have to migrate a Windows SBS 2011 to Proxmox and i read the Wiki and other Websites. I did the following:
First of all i used the build in windows-backup from the sbs-2011 server. i did a single-full backup with baremetal restore and systemstate and full harddisk (on a network share).

then i created a kvm virtual machine and put in an sbs-2011 isof rom which i booted. I choose RESTORE and selected the Full Backup (from a network-share).
Restore took its time and finally it said: DONE!

So i rebooted the machine in Proxmox but it failed with 0x0000007b (inaccessible bootdevice, i think). So i googled a bit and found a site with mergeide. SO i booted in restoremode and started a console and ran regedit, imported hive system32/system and merged mergeide in it. then i unmounted the branch and rebooted... no Luck... same erro again.
Drivers are there under system32/drivers/pciide.sys,atapi.sys and so on... Registry is fine also.

Then i read the wiki, which is only about XP and 2003 and w2k. You suggest to mergeide and just dd the whole harddisk and then just start it. But isn't that the same as a fullbackup with windows-backupand restore?

I hoped the windows integrated backupsoftware is able to restore on different hardware, but ... no, it seem to be useless here.

does anybody has an dea how to convert a windows SBS 2011 to proxmox in a USABLE way? the server has 500 GB alltogether..

thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!