OVMF vs SeaBIOS

kenneth_vkd

Sep 13, 2017
Hi
We are looking into optmization of parts of our virtual infrastructure hosted on PVE. For this we have looked at the official Proxmox benchmarks for both Ceph and local ZFS pools and have noticed a very specific configuration, where OVMF BIOS was used on q35 machines type.
Are the any performanc related benefits to using OVMF and q35 over SeaBIOS and q35, when running a mix of mostly Linux, but also for Windows server 2019 and windows server 2012 R2 and the new windows server 2022?

Reactions: zeuxprox
As far as I know, there is no performance difference, for example, if you don't need some uefi features.

I have installed windows 2022 using seabios without issues, but for me general question is - should I install it with ovmf instead of seabios or not..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!