OSX accepts only a specific number of cores

Koston411

Jan 30, 2022
I successfully installed OSX (BigSur and Monterey) on Proxmox v7.1-10.
I have an intel 11700K (16 cores).

I initially ran the VM with 16 cores allocated but after some time (15-30 minutes), the Mac OSX VMs freeze. I read that it's better to allocate a couple cores (2-4) for the host machine.
So, I tried with less cores assigned to the OSX VMs, I can start the VMs configured with 4 cores and 8 cores without any issue (no more freeze).

Though, I'd like to maximize the CPU power available for the OSX VMs and would like to be able to allocate 12-14 cores to OSX. Unfortunately, the VM is stuck at the Apple logo. Any idea how to solve this?

Note: I can run an Ubuntu VM and Windows VM with 12 and 14 cores with no problem.

In some Proxmox forum I have read that macOS configuration only accepts 4 cores and 8 cores in each cpu slot. So to use 16 threads of my processor (Intel i9 10900K), I have to configure 2 sockets and 8 cores. I did so and my vm works perfect.
if you setup the VM with 1 Slot and 16 Cores, macOS will Run but Processor's id will marked as Unkown.1667696153910.pngWhatsApp Image 2022-11-05 at 18.15.11.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-05 at 18.14.43.jpeg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!